Connection drops constantly

zcromm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm hoping I can get an answer here, because Belkin support has been no help at all (unless you consider this headache helpful).

I've got a Linksys WRT54G router that has managed to serve me well so far. I just built the wife a new desktop and thre in a Belkin F5D7000 PCI wireless G card. The problem? The card can't seem to hold a connection for longer than a couple of minutes. It drops and then comes back up, but never stays connected.

Normally, I would chalk this up to faulty hardware or a hardware mismatch between router and card, but that doesn't fit. I tried a Linksys WMP54G v4.1 and it still doesn't stay up (that one actually does worse, though it works perfectly in my other desktop).

I've tried a lot of troubleshooting so far: changed the channel on my router (several times), tried a different PCI slot, tried different hardware, tried with the windows firewall off, turned automatic power management for the device off and tried disabling IPv6...that's just off the top of my head.

As far as systems go, I've got an XP laptop, 2 Vista laptops and 2 Vista desktops, all 32-bit. Only one Vista desktop is having an issue, everything else connects just fine (as does everything else with wireless in this place).

I probably left something out, but like I said...it's been a long day.

G

Did you remember to turn off all wireless security in the router (encryption and access list) while adding a new user ?

zcromm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I have never needed to do that before, so no, I didn't turn off the security while adding the new card. I should probably mention that the other desktop was rebuilt at the same time as I was building the one with the Belkin card, so the networking on both of them was set up within 20 hours of each other.

zcromm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I tried to connect without any security at all and it still doesn't stay connected. The funny thing is that it doesn't seem to be a range problem (it reports no less than 3 bars of signal at all times, usually 5), though it's acting exactly as I would expect a system to if range was an issue.

G

Signal strength isn't the same as signal quality and those little bars are largely a product of the software designer's imagination. Get a good solid wireless connection and the problem will probably go away.

Start by looking for neighbouring wifi networks and steer clear of them by at least 5 channels (ie if the strongest is on 11, go to 6).

gstefanick

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Have you updated the driver? Try deleting the network adapter and rediscovering it again ....

If everything else is working fine it would give you the idea the wireless router is fine. Not that this is a show stopper, but check PSP Power Save Polling on the client, make sure its off and CAM is on...

How often will it stay connected ? I would start unpacking your config, starting with security going back to an open network and see is she connects...

zcromm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
It doesn't matter what level of security I use, the stupid thing doesn't even connect. I don't know if it's a problem with the card itself, with Belkin in general or with that one system...though I am hoping it's one of the first 2, because that would be significnatly cheaper for me to fix.

G

If you are having problems with dropped connections there appears to be a simple fix. Go to Direct TV and purchase 2 Internet connection kits for $24.99 each. Hook one to the router and one to your desktop. It therefore works as a direct connect to your router. No more drops, at least yet and immediate connections. This is with the lynksys WRT 160N & the WMP 54G with speedbooster but should work with any system. Main frame is a Dell XP410 and the sytem that I am connecting is a Dell XPS 610 with Vista 64 bit. Why Lynksys has not figured this work around is beyond me.
The connection kits are for On Demand and again the price is $24.99 each. If you have demand already try it, disconnect your DVR and connect that to your system that you are trying to connect.
Good Luck,
Tim