Question connection drops on 1 specific computer

ANTFKBA

Commendable
May 30, 2020
Ive been having this problem for a while now where one specific PC (wired connection) randomly has connection drops.

Sometimes it happens 2-3times a month and sometimes it happens 2-3times a day, Its very weird and irregular. (sometimes i can even go like 2 months without it ever happening once)

The way i usually fix it is by walking to the router disconnecting the cable for a few seconds and then reconnecting it again.

I have in-wall cabling from my pc to the router which i have tested multiple times with a cable tester so i dont think the problem is there. (although i guess it could be the 1.4m cable connected from the wall to my PC or in the other end from the wall to the router)

So far ive tried swapping to a different ethernet cable, removing the network card and letting windows install new drivers for it, and also preforming a clean windows install.

I have a netgear AX1800 router on a Gigabit connection and the PC with issues has an asus strix B450-f gaming motherboard and is using the built in network card.

Does the port go disconnected status or does it appear up and just not pass data. ipconfig /all should show you if the port is up and you have IP.

Disconnected state generally indicates a wiring issue. You can also check that the speed is gigabit in the status screen for the ethernet port. Bad cabling can cause it to drop to 100m or even 10m.

If the port looks like it stays connected try to leave a constant ping run in a background cmd window to your router IP. This should show if you are losing connection to the router or it is something more complex with the connection to things on the internet.