connection dual 8-pin GUP via EPS to dual pci-e 6+2 pin connector

azgaban.com

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
Hello, I have two power supply (1000 watt each) that I want to connect six GTX 1070 GPUs to them
3 GPUs to each power supply for a mining rig.

each GPU has dual 8-pin connector/opening
https://imgur.com/mMiL09Q
wv6K1O.jpg

so obviously I need 12 pci-e 8-pin connectors total..
the problem is that each PSU has only 5 pci-e 8-pin connectors/opening
https://imgur.com/aV79KZy
26QAfk.jpg

so I was wondering if I can use this cable ( is it esp to dual pci-e 6+2 pin? )
https://imgur.com/78MutRD
Y8EliD.jpg

to connect one more GPU to each PSU.
this cable head fits in the CPU slot/opening easily and the dual
6+2 heads fit in the GPU connectors as well. the head of this cable (the 8-pin one) DOES NOT FIT IN THE SLOT LABELED GPU, IT FITS IN THE SLOT LABELED CPU

so what do you think? is it safe to use that cable?
thank you.

Solution
Here's what I know;
8 Pin EPS (CPU power) is wired exactly opposite to 8 pin PCIe, meaning, on EPS, the power lines are on the side closest to the clip that hold the connector in place, on PCIe power, the lines that have power are on the opposite side of the cable furthest from the clip that holds it into place.

So, if I bought those cables you are holding, I would plug the cable into the PSU, turn it on and check and make I had 12V in each of the four connection openings furthest from the clip I would also check and make sure I had NO power in lines closest to the clip. If that was so, the cable would be safe to use. The whole process would take 15 seconds with a common multi meter or dollar store 12 volt circuit probe.

Mark RM

Admirable
Your power draw is going to be so low at the top of those cards while mining that the recommended course of action is to split a single 8 pin PCIe connector with a Y for each card. The entire card is only going to draw around 160W or less and 60-75 of that will come from the riser

azgaban.com

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017

I would, unfortunately I couldn't find the y splitter where I live, the only cable I was able to find is the one in the photo above will it work?

Mark RM

Admirable
Here's what I know;
8 Pin EPS (CPU power) is wired exactly opposite to 8 pin PCIe, meaning, on EPS, the power lines are on the side closest to the clip that hold the connector in place, on PCIe power, the lines that have power are on the opposite side of the cable furthest from the clip that holds it into place.

So, if I bought those cables you are holding, I would plug the cable into the PSU, turn it on and check and make I had 12V in each of the four connection openings furthest from the clip I would also check and make sure I had NO power in lines closest to the clip. If that was so, the cable would be safe to use. The whole process would take 15 seconds with a common multi meter or dollar store 12 volt circuit probe.

Solution

altvrat

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
I just tried your problem for you! While assembling my mining rig upside down against a wall while I was supposed to be doing something else I put the cpu cable into the PCI-E slot. It went in nice and easy. No worries. However of course when I powered up the system nothing. No smoke, no sparks, just a whole lot of nothing. Chatted with a buddy and looks like popped a breaker in the PSU or fried it or the MB cause the pinout is totally different. Gotta love learning!