[SOLVED] Connection grinding to halt randomly for subset of devices on network

Mephis39

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Router: TPLink Archer C4000
Firmware 1.0.3 (latest)

I'm a complete novice when it comes to networking, so forgive me if I haven't tried an obvious troubleshooting step. All the troubleshooting I have done, I have included in this post.

The troubling thing about this issue is it seems really inconsistent. It doesn't affect all devices on my network, nor all websites, just most devices and most websites.

Randomly, throughout the day my iPad, my pc, and a laptop (not chromecast streams, or phones from what I've seen) will grind to a halt and fail to connect to just about any website.

It happened for about 30 minutes an hour ago, and either websites would fail to load or take a whole minute to load. My download dropped to 2KB/s, then to 0b/s, however my youtube stream on my PC, while a little slow loading, remained active.

I first checked the status of the network in my area using my ISPs status checker online. All came back positive.

Then I pinged my router 16 times in total and got a response in <1ms every time.

Then I ran a tracert on 1.1.1.1 a few times and these were my results each time:
cg9Gv5z.png

I thought I was on the right track with this, but I've just run tracert again on the same ip while my connection seems reliable and I got the same readout.

I'll also take a second to mention something that's possibly related. Recently I've been experiencing massive packet loss in online games and in online packet-loss-test tools and seeing my ping drop to the range of 400-600 for prolonged periods.

In my router I have configured priority traffic (e.g. lowered the priority of video streaming, upped the priority for gaming, etc.), and given some devices priority over others. Next time I'm struck with this issue I'm going to restore the settings on my router to see if that solves anything.

Any help in making sense of this and figuring out a solution would be appreciated. If there are any extra troubleshooting steps that would be useful please do let me know.

Last edited:
Solution
Change the DNS to 1.1.1.1 in your PC network settings. Since you get good ping time 1.1.1.1 it should be a good DNS server.

You can also let a constant ping run to both your router IP and 10.53.38.125 in the back ground. When you detect problem quickly switch over and see if you get loss. What you hope to see is no loss to your router but loss to the other IP. This represent the connection between your house and the ISP and tends to be the easiest to get fixed.

Random packet loss is hard to find.
Change the DNS to 1.1.1.1 in your PC network settings. Since you get good ping time 1.1.1.1 it should be a good DNS server.

You can also let a constant ping run to both your router IP and 10.53.38.125 in the back ground. When you detect problem quickly switch over and see if you get loss. What you hope to see is no loss to your router but loss to the other IP. This represent the connection between your house and the ISP and tends to be the easiest to get fixed.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Mephis39

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019

I'll be have a ping to both running all day. Thanks for the response.

I suppose loss between my house and another IP is totally out of my hands, is it?