Question Connection Issues with desktop. Fine with Laptop

padraigbell

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
So my desktop seems to struggle to get internet. It connects but states there is no connection. When turning it on and off and it connects it is very slow and sites take long to load.

When online gaming it would randomly ping large numbers. This week it has got worse and as i stated above even loading a youtube video takes ages and stops and starts.

Ive openend my laptio beside my computer and it has a good connection beside the desktop. A playstation beside it also gains a good connection and can play very well online.

I have a wireless dongle for my desktop , would it maybe be the reason for the bad connection?

Drivers are all up to date also

Ralston18

Titan
Check the wireless dongle by feel before turning on the desktop.

Then carefully check the dongle again by feel after the desktop has been running for awhile and failing to connect or loses connection as the case may be.

If the wireless dongle feels very warm or even hot then the dongle may indeed be the problem.

One thing to try is to use a USB extension cable to raise the dongle up and away from the desktop.

Determine if that makes a difference.

And see if you can borrow another dongle for your computer or try your dongle on another computer. See if the problem follows the dongle or stays with your computer.

Consider reinstalling the dongle's drivers.