Question Connection keeps dropping through ethernet although internet is still on on other devices

Chris5634

Prominent
Oct 14, 2020
SOLVED

Hey guys, I've exhausted every possible option and have scrounged through tech forums with none of their solutions ever working. The issue started about two days ago, the only thing that had changed was I started hosting a private game server for me and my friends (max of 8 concurrent players) the server runs on a TCP/UCP port forward. The problem is as follows: After a certain amount of time (ranging from 30mins to 6hrs) my connection will suddenly drop on my pc and the ethernet port will disable itself and will refuse to enable until I have restarted the computer(until now restarting it is the only thing that enables it), the internet will also still work on other devices (WiFi or Ethernet) and only mine is affected. I've tried many fixes including changing my Ethernet port settings, setting a different primary and alternate DNS, I have also tried uninstalling my Ethernet drivers and letting windows reinstall it, as well as turning off low power management on the port itself and the result is still the same after some time passes. I currently have a 250mb plan from Xfinity and am using one of their rental Arris TG1682G router/modem combos. I've hosted servers off of this connection before but this is the first time I've done it since I built a new PC and I did not experience any similar issues until I started hosting. I usually have at most 8 devices connected to my network at a time but my PC uses about 70% daily compared to the other devices. Is the problem possibly due to overload? What do you guys think? This is my first time posting, if any other information is needed I will happily provide.

EDIT 10/16: Hey guys sorry for not updating y'all but I figured out how to fix it. After checking the reliability monitor I found an error that kept occurring from a program called Asus Update Helper so I uninstalled anything that had to do with Asus and auto updates. After that the error stopped but a new one called Google Update Helper started causing another error. After that I uninstalled google chrome and anything that had to do with google and updates. Its not the best fix but it has worked till now and my connection has not dropped once. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

PC SPECS:
WINDOWS 10 PRO OS
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING MOTHERBOARD
AMD RYZEN 7 3700X CPU
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 GPU
32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RAM
INTEL ETHERNET CONTROLLER I225-V(built into mobo)
EVGA 220-GA-0750-X1 Super Nova 750W PSU

Last edited:

Chris5634

Prominent
Oct 14, 2020
look like might need a firmware upgrade or get a different motherboard with intel lan
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethe...ue-persist-even-after-FW-upgrade/td-p/1189493
Thank you I'm gonna try finding the firmware update and I'll report back with the results, I also tried viewing reliability history and I seem to have over 35 errors with something called ASUS Update Helper, all errors usually being around the time of the internet dropping so I am also going to try uninstalling ASUS Armory to see if there is any effect.

brucehot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
could be that the properties for the network card are allowing the CPU to turn it off if the temp gets too high - check the properties for the card.
Did you do a through virus scans?

Chris5634

Prominent
Oct 14, 2020
could be that the properties for the network card are allowing the CPU to turn it off if the temp gets too high - check the properties for the card.
Did you do a through virus scans?
Do you know what setting is named exactly? After looking through the advanced tab in device manager for the card I don't see any setting about that. Also I did multiple scans and nothing came up.

rgd1101

Don't
Thank you I'm gonna try finding the firmware update and I'll report back with the results, I also tried viewing reliability history and I seem to have over 35 errors with something called ASUS Update Helper, all errors usually being around the time of the internet dropping so I am also going to try uninstalling ASUS Armory to see if there is any effect.
for the firmware, I have seen gigabyte have it on their website on their motherboard. not sure if you can use that. might want to contact ASUS support