I know I posted before, but I can't find the post, and I still need help, so
here goes.

I have a dial-up connection, and for some reason, the past several weeks, it
will APPEAR to lose the connection (no web pages can open, no e-mail can be
received or sent, IM's go off-line) but the little connection monitors in the
task bar are still blinking that I am connected. I have it set up to
reconnect when a connection is lost, but it won't do that because it believes
it is still connected.

I have done everything immaginable to try and discover what is causing the
problem. First off, checking the modem, and it is working just fine.
Secondly, ran my pc through three anti-virus programs (Avast, PC Pitstop,
Housecall), ran 3 seperate spyware programs (Spy Sweeper, Spybot Search &
Destroy, Adaware). So I know it is not a virus or spyware, malware, or
whatever.

Another little catch with this problem, it doesn't happen all the time, just
most of the time. Over this past weekend, I managed to keep a good strong
healthy connection for over 8 hours without a problem. Yes, it happened, but
only 3 or 4 times all weekend, and for the most part I was able to make a
good connection and keep it for a good extended period of time.

Today it has been a constant irritation, as it is more days than not.

I have reset my winsocks whatever (suggested by someone), I have run a
program that checks and repairs corrupted TCP/IP settings. I have posted
this problem all over the Internet and no one has yet to come up with the
solution. Could someone please think long and hard about this and let me
know something I can do? I am getting really desperate here.

Thank you all
--
Sandielynne

Malke

Sandielynne wrote:

> I know I posted before, but I can't find the post, and I still need
> help, so here goes.
>
> I have a dial-up connection, and for some reason, the past several
> weeks, it will APPEAR to lose the connection (no web pages can open,
> no e-mail can be received or sent, IM's go off-line) but the little
> connection monitors in the
> task bar are still blinking that I am connected. I have it set up to
> reconnect when a connection is lost, but it won't do that because it
> believes it is still connected.
>
> I have done everything immaginable to try and discover what is causing
> the
> problem. First off, checking the modem, and it is working just fine.
> Secondly, ran my pc through three anti-virus programs (Avast, PC
> Pitstop, Housecall), ran 3 seperate spyware programs (Spy Sweeper,
> Spybot Search &
> Destroy, Adaware). So I know it is not a virus or spyware, malware,
> or whatever.
>
> Another little catch with this problem, it doesn't happen all the
> time, just
> most of the time. Over this past weekend, I managed to keep a good
> strong
> healthy connection for over 8 hours without a problem. Yes, it
> happened, but only 3 or 4 times all weekend, and for the most part I
> was able to make a good connection and keep it for a good extended
> period of time.
>
> Today it has been a constant irritation, as it is more days than not.
>
> I have reset my winsocks whatever (suggested by someone), I have run a
> program that checks and repairs corrupted TCP/IP settings. I have
> posted this problem all over the Internet and no one has yet to come
> up with the
> solution. Could someone please think long and hard about this and let
> me
> know something I can do? I am getting really desperate here.
>
> Thank you all

Have you:

1. Swapped out the flat cable going from the computer to the telephone
jack for a new one?

2. Tried a different telephone jack?

3. Called your telephone company?

This may have nothing to do with your computer; there could be a problem
with your telephone line.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hello Malke,
There is only one jack available for the computer because it is on it's own
seperate line. The telephone company has checked the line, there are no
problems. The jack was installed only a year back, so it is new and not
rusted or corroded.

There has been a new development since I posted last. I have gathered a
little more information that might help in solving the problem.

Just today when I noticed my web pages were no longer loading, and my IM's
had gone off line, I disconnected my modem and tried to reconnect. It
wouldn't reconnect, and instead it gave me an error message.

error 633: Com prot in use by another active connection or process (phone
line monitoring program or fax modem)

Now, to the best of my knowledge, I know of no other program that is using
this port. Nothing should be, that's for sure. I did some reading in Help &
Support, and it said this:
If the Com port is already in use by another connection, hang up the
connection, or modify the connection to use a different port.

What I need to do now is find out what other process or program is using the
same port as my modem, but I don't know how to do this.

From what I am reading, it appears that this other program is keeping the
connection open, but not enough for the modem to be fully engaged, and it is
also why the modem does not recognize when it is disconnected.

Does anyone have any idea how I would find out what this program is and then
disable it?
--
Sandielynne

"Malke" wrote:

> Sandielynne wrote:
>
> > I know I posted before, but I can't find the post, and I still need
> > help, so here goes.
> >
> > I have a dial-up connection, and for some reason, the past several
> > weeks, it will APPEAR to lose the connection (no web pages can open,
> > no e-mail can be received or sent, IM's go off-line) but the little
> > connection monitors in the
> > task bar are still blinking that I am connected. I have it set up to
> > reconnect when a connection is lost, but it won't do that because it
> > believes it is still connected.
> >
> > I have done everything immaginable to try and discover what is causing
> > the
> > problem. First off, checking the modem, and it is working just fine.
> > Secondly, ran my pc through three anti-virus programs (Avast, PC
> > Pitstop, Housecall), ran 3 seperate spyware programs (Spy Sweeper,
> > Spybot Search &
> > Destroy, Adaware). So I know it is not a virus or spyware, malware,
> > or whatever.
> >
> > Another little catch with this problem, it doesn't happen all the
> > time, just
> > most of the time. Over this past weekend, I managed to keep a good
> > strong
> > healthy connection for over 8 hours without a problem. Yes, it
> > happened, but only 3 or 4 times all weekend, and for the most part I
> > was able to make a good connection and keep it for a good extended
> > period of time.
> >
> > Today it has been a constant irritation, as it is more days than not.
> >
> > I have reset my winsocks whatever (suggested by someone), I have run a
> > program that checks and repairs corrupted TCP/IP settings. I have
> > posted this problem all over the Internet and no one has yet to come
> > up with the
> > solution. Could someone please think long and hard about this and let
> > me
> > know something I can do? I am getting really desperate here.
> >
> > Thank you all
>
> Have you:
>
> 1. Swapped out the flat cable going from the computer to the telephone
> jack for a new one?
>
> 2. Tried a different telephone jack?
>
> 3. Called your telephone company?
>
> This may have nothing to do with your computer; there could be a problem
> with your telephone line.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Sandielynne wrote:

> Hello Malke,
>
> I recently had discovered my A drive was no longer functioning, and I
> had a
> repairman out just a week ago to put in a new A dive. I told him
> about the
> problem with the modem. He checked it out, and did some diagnostics
> with his equipment, and he said there is no problem with the modem.
>
> At another helpful site, where I have posted my problem, someone
> mentioned
> that I might need to re-install the tapiini.exe or telephone.ini file.
> I looked into my Windows Systems files, and couldn't find either one,
> and so
> then I did a search of the computer using the Search feature. Neither
> one was found.
>
> Back in June I had major problems, and because of it, I finally did a
> total
> recovery of my PC using the recovery discs I purchased from Compaq.
> This problem surfaced shortly after that, because in checking back, I
> discovered I
> have been trying to get help in solving the problem since June 13. At
> the time, I didn't make a connection with the recovery process because
> I had so much to do getting all of my updates etc, re-installing all
> of my favorite
> programs etc. I thought it was a glitch with my ISP. Ok, enough
> rambling. The fact of the matter is that there is no telephone.ini
> files or tapiini.exe
> file anywhere on my PC. Is it possible that is why I am having this
> problem, and if so, how do I go about fixing it?
>
> Cordially.

I honestly don't know about if not having those files is causing your
problem since it has been more years than I can remember since I used a
dialup modem. Did you install new modem drivers from Compaq? If you
didn't, I'd go to HP/Compaq's tech support site and download the
drivers for your specific model computer. If that doesn't fix things,
then I still recommend the uninstall/reinstall/replace route I
mentioned in my last post.

Good luck,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hello Malke,

Yes, I have gone to Compaq and downloaded and installed the updated drivers.
I also uninstalled the modem, and had the computer find it and re-install it.

I purchased an exterier modem, and so now we'll see if this problem persists
after I get that hooked up. Thankfully, modems aren't that expensive.

Thank you for your help,
Sandie
--
Sandielynne

"Malke" wrote:

> Sandielynne wrote:
>
> > Hello Malke,
> >
> > I recently had discovered my A drive was no longer functioning, and I
> > had a
> > repairman out just a week ago to put in a new A dive. I told him
> > about the
> > problem with the modem. He checked it out, and did some diagnostics
> > with his equipment, and he said there is no problem with the modem.
> >
> > At another helpful site, where I have posted my problem, someone
> > mentioned
> > that I might need to re-install the tapiini.exe or telephone.ini file.
> > I looked into my Windows Systems files, and couldn't find either one,
> > and so
> > then I did a search of the computer using the Search feature. Neither
> > one was found.
> >
> > Back in June I had major problems, and because of it, I finally did a
> > total
> > recovery of my PC using the recovery discs I purchased from Compaq.
> > This problem surfaced shortly after that, because in checking back, I
> > discovered I
> > have been trying to get help in solving the problem since June 13. At
> > the time, I didn't make a connection with the recovery process because
> > I had so much to do getting all of my updates etc, re-installing all
> > of my favorite
> > programs etc. I thought it was a glitch with my ISP. Ok, enough
> > rambling. The fact of the matter is that there is no telephone.ini
> > files or tapiini.exe
> > file anywhere on my PC. Is it possible that is why I am having this
> > problem, and if so, how do I go about fixing it?
> >
> > Cordially.
>
> I honestly don't know about if not having those files is causing your
> problem since it has been more years than I can remember since I used a
> dialup modem. Did you install new modem drivers from Compaq? If you
> didn't, I'd go to HP/Compaq's tech support site and download the
> drivers for your specific model computer. If that doesn't fix things,
> then I still recommend the uninstall/reinstall/replace route I
> mentioned in my last post.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Sandielynne wrote:

> Hello Malke,
>
> Yes, I have gone to Compaq and downloaded and installed the updated
> drivers.
> I also uninstalled the modem, and had the computer find it and
> re-install it.
>
> I purchased an exterier modem, and so now we'll see if this problem
> persists
> after I get that hooked up. Thankfully, modems aren't that expensive.
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Sandie

Yes, I also used an external modem back in the day - a trust USRobotics
that was expensive at the time but reliable. I hope the external works
for you.

Good luck,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I'll drop back and let you know how goes after I receive and install the new
modem. I ordered it on-line, so it will take a couple days.

Take care,
--
Sandielynne

"Malke" wrote:

> Sandielynne wrote:
>
> > Hello Malke,
> >
> > Yes, I have gone to Compaq and downloaded and installed the updated
> > drivers.
> > I also uninstalled the modem, and had the computer find it and
> > re-install it.
> >
> > I purchased an exterier modem, and so now we'll see if this problem
> > persists
> > after I get that hooked up. Thankfully, modems aren't that expensive.
> >
> > Thank you for your help,
> > Sandie
>
> Yes, I also used an external modem back in the day - a trust USRobotics
> that was expensive at the time but reliable. I hope the external works
> for you.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

The external modem arrived (Single Point from CNet) and I hooked it up and
that was the end of all connection problems.

The modem arrived Friday afternoon, and after installing it, I held a
connection for 6 hours with no problems. Saturday I went on-line about 10 AM
and left the PC on until about 8 PM last evening. Not once did I lose
connection. So as far as I'm concerned the problem is solved.

I want to thank everyone for all their suggestions and help.

--
Sandielynne

"Sandielynne" wrote:

> I'll drop back and let you know how goes after I receive and install the new
> modem. I ordered it on-line, so it will take a couple days.
>
> Take care,
> --
> Sandielynne
>

> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > Sandielynne wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Malke,
> > >
> > > Yes, I have gone to Compaq and downloaded and installed the updated
> > > drivers.
> > > I also uninstalled the modem, and had the computer find it and
> > > re-install it.
> > >
> > > I purchased an exterier modem, and so now we'll see if this problem
> > > persists
> > > after I get that hooked up. Thankfully, modems aren't that expensive.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your help,
> > > Sandie
> >
> > Yes, I also used an external modem back in the day - a trust USRobotics
> > that was expensive at the time but reliable. I hope the external works
> > for you.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Sandielynne wrote:

> The external modem arrived (Single Point from CNet) and I hooked it up
> and that was the end of all connection problems.
>
> The modem arrived Friday afternoon, and after installing it, I held a
> connection for 6 hours with no problems. Saturday I went on-line
> about 10 AM
> and left the PC on until about 8 PM last evening. Not once did I lose
> connection. So as far as I'm concerned the problem is solved.
>
> I want to thank everyone for all their suggestions and help.

Thanks for posting back. I'm glad the external fixed things and you are
back to normal. Take care, and have fun!

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell