Connection not secure (not private)

sno0ks

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015
I have two home networks. One of them works fine. The other is producing a "connection isn't private" issue on every website, whether it uses https or not. I cannot access any websites with this network. I know it's not the clock or a virus/malware since the other one works fine. it also occurs in any browser, and when I try to connect from my phone, I get "authentication error occurred" and no connection.

The signal reading is full bars. Networks diagnostics will either not detect a problem at all or will sometimes return DNS not found.

At first, I was getting redirects to my ISP's activation website. It's as if they no longer recognize my modem or account or something. The redirects stopped, but I have no clue what caused them to.

Going to call them tomorrow, but figured I'd try here first. Is it a problem with the ISP as I expect? The fact that the other network works makes me wonder.

sno0ks

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015

Win 8.1 64

Using latest version of chrome, or v 50 of Firefox. Works on neither. Can't even connect to the network on my phone, and the other network works fine on the PC, so I know it's the network and not the PC or programs/malware.

sno0ks

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015

Yes, I have two different accounts so that I can get strong internet on the other side of the house. Each modem has its own router.

It basically is a certificate problem. The certificates are used to verify that nobody is tampering in with the data in the path.

Most times you get this error because of a date/time issue. The other one is when you have someone attempting to intercept the data in the middle. Many times transparent proxy servers have this issue. Your ISP may have something that intercepts traffic. I know I had a ISP that would force all traffic to a special login if I changed my router/mac address. Until I filled out their form it would not allow traffic.

The browser may be detecting this but I think you get a different message.

sno0ks

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015
Ok, so this was a weird fracking thing. Called the ISP.

Apparently, the second line we had installed over 6 years ago was NEVER BEING PAID FOR. We've basically had a free line for 6+ years that would've normally cost us 60 bucks. The tech guy who installed it must've just installed it and never registered it on their systems or something. So they basically gypped themselves out of 5 grand over the last 6+ years. They did an audit, noticed we never paid for the line, and deactivated it.

Now, I'm going to have to get a more modern router (never changed modem or router in the last 6+ years), which should be able to boost the signal (we are paying for) from the other side of the house to this side.