Connection problem with pc modem wireless laptop

jjj96

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hello,
AT&T DSL modem, desktopPC, Lynksys wireless router and Toshiba L550 laptop: If I turn everything off, including the wifi and the modem, when I turn it back on I loose the internet connection. If I take the ethernet cable off the wireless and disconnect the wireless (blue cable) and plug the ethernet back into the computer I get the internet on the desktop, but not the the laptop. At that point I can even disconnect the ethernet cable and re-plug into the router and re-plug the router into the computer, internet still on the PC but not on the laptop.

Ok, I'm lost.

Let's just take it one step at a time. All I want to know is if you can connect either the PC or laptop via WIRE (Ethernet cable) using your wireless router and dsl modem. Just verify each one, one at a time. Deal w/ wire first since it's the easiest.

If the wired connections work, then try wireless w/ both the PC (if applicable) and laptop, again, one at a time. Make sure you have wireless security disabled and NO MAC filtering. In fact, I’d prefer to see you reset the wireless router to factory defaults first. Only add security and other features AFTER you have working connections.

If everything is working, but you’re experiencing problems when you COMBINE configurations (some wireless and some wired), then we’ll deal with that later.

But right now I can’t make heads or tails of the problem you’re experiencing and so just verify that simplest wired and wireless connections are working.

jjj96

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I spent an hour on the phone with Linksys support and they were able to get me connected. The Technician downloaded an update to the software and did some work on the settings. We are now up and running.
Sorry I had such a difficulty communicating my problem.