Question Connection problem

GunDog45

Reputable
Jun 1, 2019
I have a problem with my internet connection. I currently am running windows 10 and have been for the last year. I have my internet through my tv cable company via a cable modem. Just recently I started my computer and noticed that I couldn't access the internet. When I would pull up my network page it would show I wasn't connected. I restarted the computer many times. Finally I shut down the computer, disconnected the cable coming into the modem, I don't have a router, and reconnected it and it worked. Then later I shut down the computer and went to work. When I returned home I started the computer and had the same problem. I returned the modem to the cable company and got a new one, installed it and now I'm having the same problem. If I shut down my computer when I start it again I have to disconnect the cable and reconnect it to get an internet connection. The only difference is the network page doesn't show I am not connected to the internet. Any ideas what the problem is?

kanewolf

Titan
First it is very bad computer security to not have a router. You might have one, if your "modem" has multiple network ports or WIFI. If it only has a single network port, then it is a modem only and every time you connect your computer directly to the modem, it is at risk of being compromised. Get a router for the security.

May 31, 2019
Some things to try:

0) Uninstall your network driver in the Device Manager, and allow Windows to reinstall it on restart. Check your manufacturer's website for updates to that driver.

1) Is your computer also connecting to a Wi-fi network? Have it forget any networks you've connected to previously so that your computer can focus on a single, wired feed.

2) Use ipconfig and ping in a command window to see what's happening when the network drops. Does ipconfig show you a gateway address? DNS addresses? Can you ping those addresses? See how those test very (if at all) when you are truly connected.

3) Try a different device entirely--maybe your PC has a flaky network interface card?

GunDog45

Reputable
Jun 1, 2019
An update about the problem. I did uninstall and reinstall the network driver but that didn't fix the problem. My computer wasn't connected to a wi fi network. I did some surfing with the specific name of my ethernet card and found that this is a problem for others too. The fix was to disable the settings for "Auto disable gigabit", "Green Ethernet", and "Energy Efficient Ethernet" under the Advanced tab. So far so good. Thanks to kanewolf and grawlix for their responses.

Reactions: grawlix