[SOLVED] Connection refused minecraft server hosting

DomisAcuteperson

Commendable
Oct 22, 2020
Alright im trying to host a minecraft server for me and some friends i followed steps to host it on a pc i built just for hosting the server and it just wont let my friends connect ive disabled firewall, allowed java through firewall, port forwarded correctly even enabled DMZ but it still wont let my friends connect

Solution
I would then load wireshark on the pc and attempt to capture the data coming to the pc. This will show you if the data is making it through the router and it is the pc not responding. This is to show where a configuration is not correct. It has to be the router or the pc but you have tried all the common things on both.

You want to run as little traffic as you can on the pc. Try to use a different device to request one of the port scanning sites. This is to avoid having to capture all the web traffic going to that site. It is possible to filter by port but wireshark is kinda hard for new people so it is best to just capture and manually look through the data.

DomisAcuteperson

Commendable
Oct 22, 2020
Here is a list of some things i have done
Allowed through firewall in everyway
Port forwarded correctly
tried different ports
some websites say No ports are open
firewall is 100% off on router

Did you check if you have a public IP address. Check the IP being assigned to the router WAN port in your router. Compare this with the IP you see on sites like whatsmyip. If these are different then you do not have a public IP and port forwarding will never work.

I would then load wireshark on the pc and attempt to capture the data coming to the pc. This will show you if the data is making it through the router and it is the pc not responding. This is to show where a configuration is not correct. It has to be the router or the pc but you have tried all the common things on both.

You want to run as little traffic as you can on the pc. Try to use a different device to request one of the port scanning sites. This is to avoid having to capture all the web traffic going to that site. It is possible to filter by port but wireshark is kinda hard for new people so it is best to just capture and manually look through the data.

Solution
It would be nice if routers were consistent in the way they configured this stuff. Many are extremely confusing.

This is why you first try with the DMZ option. That is almost fool proof because all you have to know if the lan IP of your server.

This is one of those things that should work if we assume you have the router and the pc configured correctly. Since it does not you need a clue as to which device to look at to fix. So you need to figure out if your pc even gets the traffic (ie the router allowed it to come in) and if the pc gets the traffic does it respond.

The only way I know to really do this is with wireshark. Since it intercept the packets before the firewall it should let you see if the packets even exist.