Question Connection speeds slow through router

Mar 22, 2022
I'm not sure what to do, so I'll try and ask this here. I've recently moved and I'm having issues with my internet speeds when connected to my router. Both WIFI and hard wired connections are greatly slowed through it. If I connect directly to the modem I get the speeds I pay for (300MBPS), but through the router I get anywhere from 20-150MBPS. I initially thought maybe the router was going bad since it's around 10 years old, but a new one has the same issue. Does anyone have any suggestions before I break down and pay someone? I have Comcast for my ISP and my old router is an Asus RT-AC68R and my new one is an Asus RT-AX82U. I've exchanged all cables between the modem and router and router and PC, and updated the firmware. I've done all I can think of!

kanewolf

Titan
I'm not sure what to do, so I'll try and ask this here. I've recently moved and I'm having issues with my internet speeds when connected to my router. Both WIFI and hard wired connections are greatly slowed through it. If I connect directly to the modem I get the speeds I pay for (300MBPS), but through the router I get anywhere from 20-150MBPS. I initially thought maybe the router was going bad since it's around 10 years old, but a new one has the same issue. Does anyone have any suggestions before I break down and pay someone? I have Comcast for my ISP and my old router is an Asus RT-AC68R and my new one is an Asus RT-AX82U. I've exchanged all cables between the modem and router and router and PC, and updated the firmware. I've done all I can think of!
Look at the status in the router GUI. Are the wired ports at gigabit? If so, then do a factory reset on the router. Set just a minimum config. Admin password, SSID and WIFI password. Retest with a wired connection.

Mar 22, 2022
Look at the status in the router GUI. Are the wired ports at gigabit? If so, then do a factory reset on the router. Set just a minimum config. Admin password, SSID and WIFI password. Retest with a wired connection.
Yeah, the ports are all gigabit. And, I've tried resetting them both.

Mar 22, 2022
Okay, so this makes absolutely no sense to me, but I'd had my old router plugged back in, so I switched back to the new one...and now the speeds are right...what the hell!

TRENDING THREADS