[SOLVED] Connection stutters when playing video games?

Woji__

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
Apologies if this is in the wrong category, I wasn't sure where to post this
The problem:
The problem has started a while back (give or take 5-7 months), randomly my Discord voice channel would lag (only for me) when playing games, I can minimize the effect by playing in Full-screen and making sure that my game + discord are the only things open, for example going on Reddit would lag out discord if i were to tab back into the game. The thing I don't understand is why it happens, I am connected via Ethernet (cannot connect directly to router so I use power-line adapters as i do not have any Ethernet ports in my room) and I have a steady 100Mbps download / 20Mbps upload with a steady ping.

Games + Specifications:
It happens in every game, doesn't matter what game it is and it doesn't matter even if it is in full-screen / full-screen border-less / windowed or whatever, being in Full screen just makes it happen less for some reason.

Specs:
CPU: I5 7600k (Non overclocked at the moment, tried with overclock and issue still occurs)
Graphics Card: RTX 2070 Super
Ram: 16GB 3000Mhz RAM
Powerline adapter:

What I have tried:
-Running the games on different settings (Quality / Resolution, etc.)
-Speed & Duplex set to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex in the ethernet properties
-Power settings set to high performance
-Made sure that any low powermode settings are off
-Bought a cat7 cable (not sure if this is needed information but just for the sake of it i put it there)

I have also used an app called "Wifi Analyzer" on my phone and it shows me that my Wifi channels overlap with our neighbours channels, but this surely cannot be the issue ? It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Any help on this would be appreciated

Also side issue: I know that this issue isn't related to the title but I didn't want to make 2 separate threads. I have a 300-400 Mbps connection on Wifi (5Ghz Frequency), but for some reason, I only receive a constant 100 Mbps download on my computer for some reason, any possible fixes will be appreciated.

It is somewhat strange that you get 100mbps. I guess it depends on what exact numbers you get. Generally if you get say 94-98mbps it is that a port is only running at 100mbps. Higher speed mean it is running gigabit but something else is limiting the data

On wifi you have to be careful. The number you see quoted by router manufactures are not really bandwidth/speed numbers. They represent how the data is encoded and in some magic lab with non standard equipment the speed can be the same. In the real world you get only a tiny fraction of the connection speed.

It is strange that you get 100mbps on both wifi and powerline. How fast is the Internet connection you purchase from the ISP. If it is 100mbps you should not expect to get more than you pay for.

If the internet connection is more than 100mbps i would suspect the cable between the modem/router assuming that exists.

None of this is really going to cause the lag issues unless you have other machines in your house over using the bandwidth.

Common causes are things like "gamer" network accelerators. Some of these come bundled with the mother board. You need to uninstall this garbage.

You could check for packet loss by leaving a constant ping run to both your router IP address and a common ip like 8,8,8,8. You would want to run these in a background cmd window so you could quickly tab out and look when you see the issue in games.

It is somewhat strange that you get 100mbps. I guess it depends on what exact numbers you get. Generally if you get say 94-98mbps it is that a port is only running at 100mbps. Higher speed mean it is running gigabit but something else is limiting the data

On wifi you have to be careful. The number you see quoted by router manufactures are not really bandwidth/speed numbers. They represent how the data is encoded and in some magic lab with non standard equipment the speed can be the same. In the real world you get only a tiny fraction of the connection speed.

It is strange that you get 100mbps on both wifi and powerline. How fast is the Internet connection you purchase from the ISP. If it is 100mbps you should not expect to get more than you pay for.

If the internet connection is more than 100mbps i would suspect the cable between the modem/router assuming that exists.

None of this is really going to cause the lag issues unless you have other machines in your house over using the bandwidth.

Common causes are things like "gamer" network accelerators. Some of these come bundled with the mother board. You need to uninstall this garbage.

You could check for packet loss by leaving a constant ping run to both your router IP address and a common ip like 8,8,8,8. You would want to run these in a background cmd window so you could quickly tab out and look when you see the issue in games.

Woji__

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016

I have a 300-400 download on WiFi, my ethernet is 100 download though,I'll test tomorrow and let you know

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS