Question Connection to DNS Servers?

legepe

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
Hi all
I am located in the UK running window 7, at the moment connecting to internet through mobile phone tethering
I recently discovered a hacker that had got into my router, not sure if they go any further...? But this has propted me to start looking at other things to see if my connection is secure
Does anyone know.. is it normal to be connected to DNS Servers based in the USA and Germany, aswell as the UK?
Any advice very much appreciated
Thanks
legepe

The default is to use your ISP dns. If you don't that most people use 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. These ip are duplicated in many countries and you use the one closest to your house.

If you think someone got into the router just factory reset it. Put in new admin and wifi passwords. Be sure to disable WPS. After this you are likely safe.

legepe

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
The default is to use your ISP dns. If you don't that most people use 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. These ip are duplicated in many countries and you use the one closest to your house.

If you think someone got into the router just factory reset it. Put in new admin and wifi passwords. Be sure to disable WPS. After this you are likely safe.
Sorry but I am completely useless when it comes to understanding networks and I dont really understand what you mean with most people use 8.8.8.8. or 1.1.1.1.
Im using ipleak.net to see what I'm connected to and it shows at the top my IP address, but then below that it shows 4 DNS Servers 2 x USA, 1 x Germany 1 x UK (is there no way to show screen shot here)? Just not sure if I should be seeing this or not?
Unfortunately I cannot re configure the router because it does not allow me to switch off WIFI on factory reset and the hacker is immediately into my router before I have a chance to switch it off or reconfigure it in any way.
If you can advise further it would be much appreciated..

ipleak is used to test vpn. The DNS is likely your ISP DNS.

Change the setting in you IPv4 settings on your wifi or ethernet nic to use 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server. This causes it to ignore any DNS in the router.

So take the router over to a friends house and reset it there. There really is no reason to hack someones home router there is nothing that can really be stolen.

legepe

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
ipleak is used to test vpn. The DNS is likely your ISP DNS.

Change the setting in you IPv4 settings on your wifi or ethernet nic to use 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server. This causes it to ignore any DNS in the router.

So take the router over to a friends house and reset it there. There really is no reason to hack someones home router there is nothing that can really be stolen.
I ran this first with the vpn but wanted to use it with vpn switched off to see results.. is this not valid then?
I guess I need to spend some time reading to understand more what "IPv4 settings on your wifi or thernet nic..." if you know if some guide for Dummies I think I might manage it
I would take the router elsewhere but it is a little difficult at the moment with virus lockdown...
It is slightly reasuring that there is no reason to hack my network.. but Ive just got paranoid with it all. Is there any program / app that I can use to be 100 percent certain no one is connecting to my network.. the hacker that was in it previously was hiding their credentials IP and MAC address from view within my routers interface and I only discovered them because of a phone app i ran (Avira) that recognised it as a hp laptop. I had even manually blacklisted their IP and blocked their MAC but they where still connecting..!