Connection to Modem is Great, but to Router is bad

Eis12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I have been having a terrible connection on my Xbox and computers lately. I have a cable modem with one ethernet connection which goes to my wireless router. Then I either connect my computers or Xbox to the wireless router either wirelessly or wired. (either way the connection is still bad).

I have a Linksys EA4500 N900 Dual-Band Wireless router. I bought one of these 2 months ago and returned it because I was getting terrible connections with it. So I returned it and got the same router and the connection was fine for about 2 weeks and then went bad again. I don't know if this is hardware related, because my internet service provider just ran a new line to my house.

Like I said I get perfect connection if I direct connect my xbox to my modem, but it is terrible connection if I connect it (wired or wireless) to my router. I have tried Port Forwarding, everything is updated. Ive tried 3 different routers, I've even tried a switch to connect all my items wired, but no matter what I connect to the modem (switch or router) my connection is terrible.

Please help!

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

1. Are the computers bad too or JUST the xbox?

2. Have you changed the Ethernet cable that goes from the modem to the router?

3. How are you determining the connection is bad? Are you pinging and getting packet loss, or are you running a speed test?

Eis12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
The computers are slow also. I've tried many ethernet cables. I've ran speed tests when connected to the modem and they are perfect, but when I run speed tests when connected to the router the are extremely lower and the ping is about 600.

It just seems like there is an incompatibility issue between the modem and any other router or switch attached to it.

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

30 second hold reset button, will reset router to defaults, then reset up wireless and see if that fixes it.

The WAN portion should be Dynamic or DHCP unless yo pay for a static IP, then static. If you ever ran DSL it may be on PPPOE which can cause the symptoms you have..

Eis12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I have reset the routers settings. This hasn't fixed the problem. All the other settings are correct also. I'm still very confused at this because a year ago I used to have 2 xboxs on this connections and it was fine, now it's just horrible.