Connectivity issues at home

Sep 29, 2018
Hello, so I am a standard domestic internet user with little to no network knowledge...

Recently I moved back to my mothers house and I noticed that my connection had some lag spikes. I reset the router, updated firmware, etc... Still lag spikes every 3-4 seconds. So I switched my router to the one that my internet provider gave me, and i had the same issue (I'm talking about the connection to 192.168.1.1 here).

So basicly after performing several tests, these are my results:

-Connection between PC and ASUS Router = lag spikes
-Connection between PC and standard Router = lag spikes (less intense)
-Connection between Smartphone and ASUS Router = lag spikes (more intense)
-Connection between Smartphone and standard Router = lag spikes

now, here comes the interesting part... It would seem that there is a connectivity problem in my house, as it is highly unlikely that both my 2 routers have been damaged during the 6 months I have been out of this house. So I performed an additional test, using my Smartphone as Hotspot... I also placed it exactly where the other 2 routers were... No lag spikes. Whatsmore, connection has the lowest ping (less than 1ms).

I must add that, performing the Ping test in both my PC and Smartphone at the same time, lag spikes didn't happen at the same time, though they showed a predictable pattern within each terminal.

So, my final guess here is that my routers are old and I should change them. However the ASUS router is expensive as shit, and I find it hard to believe that it is malfunctioning...

Any thoughts on this issue? Should I change my router?

You have to test much much more carefully.

Your first test needs to be running on a ethernet cable to determine if the problem is wifi or if it might be a issue with your ISP connection.

The next you need to very carefully configure the wifi setting and be absolutely sure you know which radio channels and bands you are using when you test. It is highly likely your phone picked different radio channels or it used something like a 20mhz channel rather than 40 or 80.

It is not likely a old router problem when you have mulitple that fail. Most times when the wifi in a router has issues you just get no signal at all.

Your symptom is extremely common and is most times caused by interference from wifi coming in from outside your house. Since everyone seems to have multiple routers and other devices in their house the interference issue has become massive lately.

Sep 29, 2018

SOLVED!!

Manually changed channel to 140 in ASUS Router. No lag spikes!!! THANKS A LOT!