Connectivity issues, webpages sometimes load

nmc.5

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
The main issue is when I try to access any webpage, I get a "This site cannot be reached" message, even though I am connected to the internet, as evidenced by me being able to watch an uninterrupted live stream.
When I open cmd and ping google.com for instance, sometimes I receive a "Ping request could not find host google.com." and other times it pings it (with time out requests).
Same issues with ethernet cable.
Some help would be really appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 5558 Laptop.
PCI adapter (Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160).
Avast antivirus + Windows Firewall.

kanewolf

Titan
You may be having a DNS problem. If you get to a point where ping google.com fails try ping 8.8.8.8 immediately. That will help eliminate the DNS.

You can probably override the ISP DNS by entering the Google DNS on your router (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

nmc.5

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Ping google has failed multiple times, and I don't believe it to be an issue with the ISP DNS, as multiple devices are connected to the same router, and are working perfectly fine.

kanewolf

Titan

OK, that is important info that was not in the original post, that other devices are not impacted at the same time.

Have you flushed the machine's local DNS cache? You could still have a DNS problem. That is why I recommended the ping to an IP address. You should also attempt to ping to the router itself. These are all necessary troubleshooting steps. If you have issues with wired and wireless connectivity on the same host, you have an issue above the device or driver layer. You may have to see if the problem remains when booting with safe mode with networking.

nmc.5

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
I tried several things including pinging to my router (worked with no packets lost), and virus scans with Malwarebytes, Avast, and even Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, all of which detected nothing.

The problem seems to have stabilized and I'm now able to access websites normally, and perform ping requests, which is really strange since I didn't do anything other than run the virus scans and ping requests.