Question Connectivity Issues

Aug 3, 2022
Hi all,

I am having a few problems with my girlfriend's computer.
A while back we had some driver issues and the PC needed to be reset, a fresh windows was installed onto a new SSD.

However on this device, we can not use our WiFi connection for any applications on the PC, BUT we can browse the internet just fine with good speed test results.
Apps simply will not work on the device, however, if I connect to my mobile hotspot instead of the WiFi extender then the apps work just fine.

There seems to be an issue with the apps speaking to the NIC.

The extender has been moved and the ethernet also attempted from the extender, with ethernet the issue persists, google works but no applications work on the device.
The device is windows 10.

All drivers are up to date using driver booster, first, we couldn't update them as no internet on the app, but using the mobile hotspot we have got them all updated.

Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

a fresh windows was installed onto a new SSD
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Also, did you manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? Would offer up some more context if you listed the specs to your gf's system. Inclusive of the make and model of the PSU and it's age.

All drivers are up to date using driver booster, first, we couldn't update them as no internet on the app, but using the mobile hotspot we have got them all updated.
That's where you're inflicting damage on yourself, never use a third party app to tell you what to and what not to update. Always scour manufacturer's support site for any updates. There have been instances whereby people were suggested to flash their BIOS due to an update, courtesy of a third party app...voila, expensive paperweight motherboard, RMA, long story short...was a long ordeal.

It likely is a firewall setting on the pc. Sometimes microsoft thinks you are on a public network and runs a much more restricted rule set. Pretty much the browser and not much else. I think you just change it to private network. The quickest way to check is to use the option to temporarily disable the firewall. The network the hotspot creates likely is using a different IP range or microsoft is just being stupid on the first one.

Aug 3, 2022
It likely is a firewall setting on the pc. Sometimes microsoft thinks you are on a public network and runs a much more restricted rule set. Pretty much the browser and not much else. I think you just change it to private network. The quickest way to check is to use the option to temporarily disable the firewall. The network the hotspot creates likely is using a different IP range or microsoft is just being stupid on the first one.
Hi, I am still working on the steps above from Lutfij, however, you were right the settings for the WiFi were set to public and not private. However I have changed it back to private, but the apps still do not work. I have also disabled the firewall temporarily and the issue still persists.

I have just bought a Wireless adapter from the local store as did not trust the built it one ( all connection signals were very low) and now they are all 3/3 bars, however, the issue still persists.

As an example, I can browse for steam, and download the install, however when it is first opened it is trying to update steam, gives me an error 10 seconds later saying it needs to be connected to the internet and fails, it is doing a very similar thing for driver booster, AMD drivers app, Xbox app and also the windows update section of the settings when checking it shows me some updates are available but when going to download them it just gets stuck on 0%. yet browsing google is fine.

leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 and see if you are getting packet loss. The other thing you can try is to disable IPv6 in the nic settings. Sometimes ipv4 sites will work but not ipv6 or the reverse. While you are in the settings I would set IPv4 DNS server to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 if you do not want to use google for dns. I don't think it is a DNS issue but the default is to use your as a proxy to your ISP dns server, both these have strange issues from time to time, mostly you get site not found errors.