[SOLVED] connector pins - from wire side or connector side?

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
I'm still trying to rewire the stupid cables to adapt the HP Compaq 8100 Elite to a standard ATX supply. And my problem has come down to the little (unknown make) 6 pin connector listed as P2 on the diagram (Picture 1).

Since NOBODY in the United States wires this for the 8100, instead always wiring it for a different computer, this connector needs its pins moved. I have been assuming that the diagram shows the pinout of the little thrice-damned connector to read 6 through 1, Left to Right, from the side of the connector where the wires go IN. Is this so?

Or is it an engineering standard, which I never heard of before, that the pinout is viewed from the CONNECTOR end - the part that goes into the socket?

Please clarify this for me. This may be why my first rewired connector didn't work properly. And before you ask, no, the unknown little treasonous connector does NOT have any numbers indicating which pin is which.

It would also be nice if someone in the know can tell me the manufacturer and the connector name, so I can go to the factory that makes this hideous little thing and drop a paper bag of flaming dog poop at their front door. Thank you.
file:///home/msgeek/Desktop/The%20HP%20Connector.jpg
file:///home/msgeek/Desktop/Connector%20Combined.jpg

Note: I do not know how to paste the edited photos from my desktop into this message so you can know what I'm talking about. I cannot put the photos on a hosting web page. Any suggestions would help.

Last edited:

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
Are you trying to hand wire or can the fix you up. If this is what your looking for.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Conversi...MIpoHg36Xl6wIV7j2tBh3IJw1iEAQYBSABEgI4U_D_BwE

That is very nice, but as I thought I explained, there are many people selling the same thing on eBay and Amazon. I have bought three of them. One from Aya Group, one from an Amazon seller who will remain anonymous. And one from a Chinese company that assured me that this one would work...and after purchasing they apologized and said that everything shipped from Hong Kong would take TWO MONTHS OR MORE to reach the United States, assuming that Donald Trump didn't nuke China as part of his re-election campaign.

NONE of the American sellers, and I mean ABSOLUTELY NO ONE IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE OF SELLERS, have the proper wiring for the HP Elite 8100! Their customer service tells you to rewire it yourself, and find the instructions on line. Not even a crummy Xeroxed handout shipped with the cable.

I ATTEMPTED to rewire this connector using a web graphic from another post, which I can't repost here. When I plugged it in, the 8100 refused to boot and gave the "four beeps" that means power supply problem. I had to disconnect it and put the original underpowered PSU into the case before the computer's owner got home and raised a fit.

Now that I was forced to get an Imgur account to post pictures here, I can show you the mutant 6 pin motherboard cable that is the problem.
There are web pages that show the proper connections. The problem is NO ONE has identified how I'm supposed to read the pins on the connector. See the pictures for the problem. This is what I am trying to get someone in the wide, wide world of sports to tell me! And I refuse to experiment without knowing absolutely sure.

Bonus points if someone can identify the manufacturer and the identity of this connector. Read my original post above, about the flaming bag of dog poop. I am serious about this. SOMEONE is going to get the flaming bag, and if I'm going to get bus fare to AYA Group or whoever makes the connector, I need their identity.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

And in your P2 diagram, I noted the two vertical lines (one on each end) extending above the plug.

Perhaps those lines correspond/represent the tabs I see in your other photograph.

For the most part since we look down/into a connector my thought is that the answer is "Wire side".

Also do you have a multimeter? Checking the original PSU pin voltages may prove helpful.

If which ever way you originally wired it did not work then try the reverse.

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

And in your P2 diagram, I noted the two vertical lines (one on each end) extending above the plug.

Perhaps those lines correspond/represent the tabs I see in your other photograph.

For the most part since we look down/into a connector my thought is that the answer is "Wire side".

Also do you have a multimeter? Checking the original PSU pin voltages may prove helpful.

If which ever way you originally wired it did not work then try the reverse.

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
Yes, the vertical lines on the sides of the connecter are there on BOTH the wire side and the connector side. The way I changed the wires on the ADA Group connector were all on the side shown - left to right, 6-5-4-3. But it still failed to start the power supply. Before I change the cheapie one I purchased, I just want a definitive answer.

My concerns are: nobody has ever shown the way the connector is wired in any videos that I've seen. The wiring diagrams shown on these two systems how the cables are supposed to work. So why doesn't this PC start?

Second, why didn't AYA group or these other people come out ant SAY the connector is wired for a "different" HP model than the one the buyer has?

Third, would it have cost the owners of these eBay stores the cost of their kid's preschool if they simply included a Xeroxed diagram showing HOW to change it to the different HP models, and so color wouldn't be involved for economy, which 24 pin connector (or buck converter connetion) do you use for all the various HP models? There's only pernaps 10 of them.

Ralston18

Titan
Multi-meter:

Check the voltages. You may have the wires correct but if one of them has a break somewhere or is otherwise poorly connected then the PC would not start.

As for HP, I remember past issues with proprietary components to the extent that one government agency I worked at would not purchase HP computers unless contractually forced to do so.

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
Multi-meter:

Check the voltages. You may have the wires correct but if one of them has a break somewhere or is otherwise poorly connected then the PC would not start.

As for HP, I remember past issues with proprietary components to the extent that one government agency I worked at would not purchase HP computers unless contractually forced to do so.

If you mean "check continuity," with a meter for resistance/continuity and no power applied, that would be possible. It would be near impossible to power up an ATX supply without the pin cable being plugged into a motherboard. What's more, from what I can tell, these are the voltages:

Pin 6 and 5 - ground. (From various pins on the 24 pin: 18 and 19.)
Pin 4 - PG or PWR-OK, 24 connector Pin 8.
Pin 3 - PS_ON or PS-ON, 24 connector Pin 16

And Pin 2 connects to the "tach" pin on one of the case fans. This is supposed to substitute for the original's internal connection to the PSU's fan, to keep the system from instantly starting if the fan isn't running. You connect this pin to a fan so you don't get the "Error 515" and have to press the F1 key to make the computer boot.

I think if there is a continuity problem, I'd need the pins for this weird little connector. Does anyone know the maker of this connector? It has no identifying marks. It's not standard anything. Thanks for any help.

ADDENDUM: I think I've found the connector. It's called the KF2510. It's a six pin connector (they make them with many pins) and, unfortunately, they are all crimp type connectors. They're available on eBay and probably elsewhere. It also specifies a 2.54 millimeter pin. Hopefully this will help someone trying to go through the murky swamp of HP..

ADDENDUM BAD NEWS: The KF2510 6 pin connectors are available. FROM CHINA. There are no American or Canadian distributors of this connector. On eBay I did fine one British contact for it. Since I'm very familiar with how impossible it is to get shipments from China to the United States, it looks like getting the connector is impossible. And it does make it extremely difficult to fulfill my mission statement to place a bag of flaming dog poop on the factory stairs, for making such a weird, non-standard, unavailable connector.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Perhaps:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...lite+p2+pinout+diagram&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

Is P1 in place in your system? If so use P1's orientation and/or pin voltages to determine P2's orientation.

And likewise:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...lite+p2+pinout+diagram&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

Just for the record, I used "hp 8100 elite p2 pinout diagram" as my search criteria to find the above and other similar links.

I am (full disclosure) hesitant to make a straight forward "connect A to B" pin recommendations because even with all of the information available it is not clear one way or another.

However you are "boots on the ground" and can see all of the wires and can check pin voltages.

Hopefully using P1 as a reference can help orient P2.

Solution

tomreedtoon

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
If you mean "check continuity," with a meter for resistance/continuity and no power applied, that would be possible. It would be near impossible to power up an ATX supply without the pin cable being plugged into a motherboard. What's more, from what I can tell, these are the voltages:

Pin 6 and 5 - ground. (From various pins on the 24 pin: 18 and 19.)
Pin 4 - PG or PWR-OK, 24 connector Pin 8.
Pin 3 - PS_ON or PS-ON, 24 connector Pin 16

And Pin 2 connects to the "tach" pin on one of the case fans. This is supposed to substitute for the original's internal connection to the PSU's fan, to keep the system from instantly starting if the fan isn't running. You connect this pin to a fan so you don't get the "Error 515" and have to press the F1 key to make the computer boot.

I think if there is a continuity problem, I'd need the pins for this weird little connector. Does anyone know the maker of this connector? It has no identifying marks. It's not standard anything. Thanks for any help.

ADDENDUM: I think I've found the connector. It's called the KF2510. It's a six pin connector (they make them with many pins) and, unfortunately, they are all crimp type connectors. They're available on eBay and probably elsewhere. It also specifies a 2.54 millimeter pin. Hopefully this will help someone trying to go through the murky swamp of HP..
Perhaps:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=1Ar07gWF&id=26407098658AE7340FF37CFAC98D9059EEABEDD3&thid=OIP.1Ar07gWFyUx1twBzgmrDLgHaEa&mediaurl=https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/132341i356E46D82CDB54AF?v=1.0&exph=588&expw=987&q=hp+8100+elite+p2+pinout+diagram&simid=607996060247068609&ck=2493ACDEB783E618F4BFAA248FE66D3A&selectedIndex=1&qpvt=hp+8100+elite+p2+pinout+diagram&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

Is P1 in place in your system? If so use P1's orientation and/or pin voltages to determine P2's orientation.

And likewise:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=zn5fgrWk&id=F0E1C187C5709902A6A074563CC5A4B397CAB7CC&thid=OIP.zn5fgrWk4b7Yj9iZMXow5wHaEo&mediaurl=https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2018_11/2006193050_powerschematic1.jpg.85740bf1e7d852e684a67e84b417e835.jpg&exph=1050&expw=1680&q=hp+8100+elite+p2+pinout+diagram&simid=608046212580379603&ck=FD6C2BB3425B8BAC2E49753866D8B7E6&selectedIndex=0&qpvt=hp+8100+elite+p2+pinout+diagram&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

Just for the record, I used "hp 8100 elite p2 pinout diagram" as my search criteria to find the above and other similar links.

I am (full disclosure) hesitant to make a straight forward "connect A to B" pin recommendations because even with all of the information available it is not clear one way or another.

However you are "boots on the ground" and can see all of the wires and can check pin voltages.

Hopefully using P1 as a reference can help orient P2.
Thanks. I had them already. Those are the two diagrams I put on Pinterest to post here. A little redundancy is NOT a bad thing. However, now that we know it's a KF2510 6-pin connector, and that only China makes it, and nobody in America stocks it AT ALL, everyone needs to discuss why it is ridiculous and stupid to rely on one foreign country to manufacture essential parts.