Connector used for modding with LEDs?

I went to radioshack and tried looking for those connectors where one
end plugs on the motherboard, and the other end you slip in the wire
that is hooked up to the LED.

Radioshack person didn't know what I was talking about... so anyone
know the real name for these connectors? A place that sells them
would be good info also. :)

Thx for info on this!

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:43:30 -0500, stop@spam.today.com wrote:

>I went to radioshack and tried looking for those connectors where one
>end plugs on the motherboard, and the other end you slip in the wire
>that is hooked up to the LED.
>
>Radioshack person didn't know what I was talking about... so anyone
>know the real name for these connectors? A place that sells them
>would be good info also. :)
>

>Thx for info on this!

2-pin connector for .025 pins on .1" centers

You'd be surprised how much a tiny piece of plastic and two metal inserts
can cost when you buy in small volume, you might consider just soldering
the LED to the far end and covering with a few mm of heatshrink tubing.
I don't recall what Radio Shack wants for these parts but I did once order
them online and they were outrageously expensive, about 8 cents a piece
for EACH tiny metal insert... may not seem bad when buying only a few but
at the time i needed several hundred and couldn't find any larger volume
pricing that'd be any cheaper than buying just a few hundred.

When considering what to buy the issues can be what support parts you
already have... if you have a soldering iron, some spare wire, etc, then
you'll end up with a better finished result due to being able to select
custom wire lengths. An alternative is to use ribbon cable, like on an
old floppy drive cable, then just seperate the ends as far back as needed
for the plugs and LED spacing, or use CAT-5 cable or any other
multiconductor wire of small diameter, high gauge.

Then there's this:
http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=3273 , which looks like
a misc. assortment situation so you might need buy a few "sets", more than
you need to end up with enough of the right length.

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!