[SOLVED] Connectors M.2 PCI Express (PCIe) vs NGFF and more

Jun 25, 2020
I have googled many times, but I just found content about different types of hard drives. But I want to know about different types of laptop connectors or slots.

For example, I have this WLAN card on my laptop, and I am totally confused about what's going on here, as both have different types of connector pins. How are they working and what are these? Are these slots are NGFF M2 or Mini PCI-e or both are different?

I have to buy an EXP GDC to run an external graphics card on my laptop. They are offering it in different types of connectors, like NGFF M2 and Mini PCI-e. Which should I choose as compatible with my laptop?

PtptR.jpg

Solution
Yes, that is an M.2 2230 (aka M.2 NGFF) connector as shown in the picture.

NGFF M2 or Mini PCI-e are different. If you want to dig into the details, Wiki has reasonable articles on M.2 and Mini-PCIe.

And you will note that the HP specs show M.2 NGFF with a size of 22 x 30 x 2.4 mm , which is the M.2 2230 size (22 by 30 mm, hence the spec name).

For external graphics your laptop has a Mini DisplayPort 1.2. But make sure whatever you buy has reasonable drivers that are compatible with your OS. Many adapters are very weak in the driver department.

Your best bet might be to see if there is a good external docking station for this model.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, that is an M.2 2230 (aka M.2 NGFF) connector as shown in the picture.

NGFF M2 or Mini PCI-e are different. If you want to dig into the details, Wiki has reasonable articles on M.2 and Mini-PCIe.

And you will note that the HP specs show M.2 NGFF with a size of 22 x 30 x 2.4 mm , which is the M.2 2230 size (22 by 30 mm, hence the spec name).

For external graphics your laptop has a Mini DisplayPort 1.2. But make sure whatever you buy has reasonable drivers that are compatible with your OS. Many adapters are very weak in the driver department.

Your best bet might be to see if there is a good external docking station for this model.

Solution
Jun 25, 2020
Thanks for your explanation but would you tell me where did you find this in specs? Because I have read that many times but didn't find this? I am confirming this because there's also an M.2 SATA installed on the laptop.

Actually I am trying to use an external Graphics Card with my laptop via this so I think it's not possible with DisplayPort.