Conroe E6600 temp: 47c - idle. 72c - on heavy load..

OlegusTT

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Looking for advice.

Yesterday, I have build my first system. Motherboard ASUS P5B (vanilla).
Processor: Conroe E6600.

Actual components list:
NewEgg wishlist = buylist

Stock speed, stock heatsink & fan.

Case has 4 fans... good airflow.

First time when entered BIOS I saw temp around 45-47C. Seems a bit high for idle.

Today I tried stress test my new system. I ran two instances of Prime95 for about 5 min.
Temp raised to 66c (according to ASUS prob). Core Temp beta showed around 60c.

After that I pulled heatsink, placed it back - hoping for better contact/position.

Run two instances of Prime95 again. Now temperature raised to 72c (ASUS probe), at that point I stopped test - just scared of burning processor... Core Temp beta reported ~69c at the same time.

So, now I am just frustrated and do not know what to do?

Should I purchased another cooler or give another try to pull heatsink out and place it back?
When I pulled heatsink out and place it back, I did not use any thermal paster or anything...

Any thoughts, advices?

Btw, I searched forum, but I did not see that people were hitting 72c mark..

Thanks

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
First, you need to re-apply some thermal grease on the cpu. Use a high quality grease like artic silver 5. Make sure you wipe off any of the old grease on the cpu and hsf first.
Once you have the hsf properly installed, start your system up and check your fan speed. It may just be spinning slow. If it is go ahead and get you a good fan from Zalman, they seem to cool the best.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I haven't seen temps above 50 (ASUS Probe as well) with two instances of F@H running for 8 hours (100% CPU usuage), usually I would say I get 48 or 49 at full load (and this seems to be a tad high compared to other temps being reported by others).

I would say that you do not have good contact with the CPU/fan, as the previous poster suggested you should reapply thermal paste after cleaning and re-mount the heatsink and fan. If you remove the heatsink you NEED to clean and reapply before replacing the HSF.

Grated

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Have you actually pushed the 4 pins from the cooler in the motherboard?? (it needs quite a bit of pressure to get the 4 pins in good, a small push isn't enough)

I think your cooler doesn't have the contact it needs with the cooler

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
After that I pulled heatsink, placed it back - hoping for better contact/position.

Well... thats one problem. The thing is, when you place the HSF on the top of the CPU, you basically create an air tight seal, for heat to transfer through.

Since you broke that seal, it needs to be redone. Unless its a thermal pad, it might/should be reusable. The 4 pins I read are a pain to get on correctly.

If your looking for something of a decent price/performance ratio for a HSF, I'd recommend the Freeze 7 pro.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - $29.99

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Looking for advice.

Yesterday, I have build my first system. Motherboard ASUS P5B (vanilla).
Processor: Conroe E6600.

Actual components list:
NewEgg wishlist = buylist

Stock speed, stock heatsink & fan.

Case has 4 fans... good airflow.

First time when entered BIOS I saw temp around 45-47C. Seems a bit high for idle.

Today I tried stress test my new system. I ran two instances of Prime95 for about 5 min.
Temp raised to 66c (according to ASUS prob). Core Temp beta showed around 60c.

Run two instances of Prime95 again. Now temperature raised to 72c (ASUS probe), at that point I stopped test - just scared of burning processor... Core Temp beta reported ~69c at the same time.

So, now I am just frustrated and do not know what to do?

Should I purchased another cooler or give another try to pull heatsink out and place it back?
When I pulled heatsink out and place it back, I did not use any thermal paster or anything...

Any thoughts, advices?

Btw, I searched forum, but I did not see that people were hitting 72c mark..

Thanks

Most likely the CPU HSF is improperly mounted

In addition to the possible solutions posted by others, it is a common mistake that adding more fans to a case will increase cooling of components. If done correctly, yes it will. If done incorrectly, you can actually reduce airflow to/over your CPU and chipset HS/Fs as well as your expansion cards.

If you are a first timer, and unfamiliair, check your fan orientations. If you have a lot of fans, putting them all in parallel flow (i.e. either all sucking or all blowing) is not the best solution.

If you have a ducted case, that is a case with a duct specifically for porting air to the CPU, insure that the fan (if it has one) is "sucking" from the outside, or feeding to the CPU HSF. If you have fans located at both the front and rear of the case, and the case is not ducted, orient the fans in series, that is the front fans pumping into the case, rear fans pulling.

peace

OlegusTT

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Thank you everyone for advices.

I will try first to re-apply thermal grease.

Couple related questions:

A: Does use of Arctic silver thermal grease will void my warranty on processor?

B: Does use of non-stock cooler will void Intel's warranty on processor?

Thanks again.

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
1. No
2. No

If it voids your warranty, who will bother to buy those after market cooler? The warranty only void in case of improper use of voltage increase.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
When you remove the heatsink the thermal material will peel off so your gonna need some more. AS5 will do just fine. If your in a pinch get generic stuff from radio shack, not the best but better than nothing. When I mounted my heatsink I did it with the board out of the case to make sure it was properly mounted. Stock intel 775 coolers can seem to be mounted solidly yet when you look at the back side of the board you will find the pins are not extending all the way through.

OlegusTT

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Quick Update.

I bought Arctic Silve 5 in local CompUSA store this evening.

I have pulled HSF off, wiped old grease, pulled processor, wiped old grease. Then I dropped ~rice grain of AS5 on processor and put everything back...

It somewhat helped. Idle temp on first startup was showing ~41C. Though about 45C on next ones.

When I ran 2x Prime95 (100% load for both cores) for about 10 minute, the temperature raised to ~59C (according to Core Temp beta) and ~63c according to ASUS Probe.
So, it is better then 72c for sure, but still looks high.

I did not pull motherboard out of case when I installed HSF. I guess, I should make another attempt when MB is laying on the table.

I have a very hard time with putting straight down HSF on processor.
The 4 plastic pins contact motheboard first... Even in this time when put HSF on processor, it was somewhat bumpy - no straight sit...

Is there good technique for putting HSF down in one move?

Any advices are greatly appreciated.

One more thing: I noticed that even when ASUS probe shows red mark temperature 60c, the CPU fan speed is about 1900 rpm. To my understanding it is not maximum fan speed... Any thoughts on this matter?

Thanks.

OlegusTT

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Another update....

I took Motherboard out, pulled HSF, pulled processor, cleaned everything, applied AS5 again... Put everything back...

This attempt make it worser than previous one...

Now Idle is around 42c/45c (Core Temp/Asus Probe).

2xPrime95 for couple minutes = 66c/70c (Core Temp/Asus Probe)

Doh...

I guess I will give another try this evening withou pulling MB out. Because this time I felt that HSF did site down straight...

Is there possibility that ASUS P5B motherboard affects readings somehow? T
hough to me Core Temp should disregard BIOS/MB and read straight from proc...

Grated

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
When you take the cooler off your cpu, can you pull it just off or do you first have to turn those 4 pins so you can take it off the mobo?
Don't forget to turn those 4 pins back before you place the cooler in the mobo so it can get tight again.

I'm still in the impression the cooler doesn't have the proper contact with the CPU

Techie22

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Thank you everyone for advices.

I will try first to re-apply thermal grease.

Couple related questions:

A: Does use of Arctic silver thermal grease will void my warranty on processor?

B: Does use of non-stock cooler will void Intel's warranty on processor?

Thanks again.

A: B: yes and yes. I called intel last year and they said that if you replace the hsf with an aftermarket one, you have voided your warranty (It might even be in the instructions). Just don't let them know if you call tech support. :wink: If you don't screw anything up yourself and the proc looks like it had the original hsf, you will be okay. Tons of people do it, and intel doesn't care if they don't know.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Not this again... :?

It should say it in the warranty it self, which I didn't find anything saying using a 3rd party HSF or compound that would void the warranty.

I did find pdf files which defines the 3 year warranty, found here:

Processors - 3 year Limited Warranty

I really don't see how installing a 3rd party HSF can void the warranty, especially if it was designed for the socket. Nor did I see anything about specific thermal grease, compound, or pad.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
It prolly will matter to those who somehow screwed up, or for some reason the CPU did fail.

Again, if using something like AS5/3rd party HSF void warranties, then they should put it on their website and products to warn users, which I still yet to see.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
It's not going to matter, since they don't specifically say what 3rd party HSF used, or compound.

Edit:

And when I said, "It prolly will matter to those who somehow screwed up" I was talking about those who worry about the warranty.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I've been building computers for over 10 years and I've only burned up one cpu and it was because I tryed useing a celeron HSF an a Duron and AMD replaced it. I doubt they get many returns and unless it is physically damaged they probably ship out a new one.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I accidentally overvolted(2.0v) my E6600 yesterday while overclocking. Temps went up to 70c lol. Hope it didn't damage it :p

Well.. as far as warranty, it does say:

damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

:p

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I've been building computers for over 10 years and I've only burned up one cpu and it was because I tryed useing a celeron HSF an a Duron and AMD replaced it. I doubt they get many returns and unless it is physically damaged they probably ship out a new one.

Why.. would you do that? Put a celeron HSF on a Duron? Cause you been building computers over so many years, and thought it would work?

Now I can understand perhaps a cheapo type of CPU, but if you spend 1k on an E6800 or 800 bucks on an FX-62 CPU, and do the same thing, I bet more question maybe asked.

Edit:

But then answering those questions to avoid the embarrasment would require you to lie.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
That was before amd started putting caps on their cpus and you needed a special shim. I just forgot until it was too late. Yes it was a $40 part so I doubt too many questions were asked.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
when you say you put ~rice grain of AS5 on did you spread it around? and yeah dont forget to make sure like 100% positive that those pins go all the way through and latch in. also you do need a pretty decent coating of AS5 on the proc so make sure you spread it and have an even coating on the whole surface.

OlegusTT

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Actually, I did NOT spread the compound, because the AS5 instructions does not say that I should do it for P4/Athlon...

But I will try the technique with spreading tonight.

Arctic Silver instructions

Another thing, when I pulled HSF after my first attempt with AS5, the spot size was about a dime, whereas heatsink is about quarter size.
The last time I put slightly more of AS5, hoping it will spread may be more in size...

Well, I will try manual spreading today. Thanks for advice.