Conservative vs. Liberal Brain

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago I happened across this interesting story about how the brain structure of conservatives and liberals differs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2011/04/08/2011-04-08_scans_show_liberals_conservatives_have_different_brain_structures.html

To sum it up, conservatives tend to have a larger amygdala, the part of the brain that processes fear. Liberals on the other hand tend to have a larger anterior cingulate cortex, the area of the brain that deals with conflict and uncertainty.

The researchers theorized:
The difference in brain structure could explain some of the traits that distinguish conservatives and liberals, researchers said. People with larger amygdalas tend to respond with more aggression in situations where they feel threatened and are more sensitive to fear and disgust.

People with larger ACCs tend to be better at tolerating uncertainty--a reason why they often accept more liberal views, researchers told LiveScience.

I haven't read the whole study (I'm not paying for access to some journal hogging website for one article), but I'm pretty sure the authors aren't saying that we are born with a predisposed ideology or political affiliation. From my point of view (a political scientist, btw), I fall along the lines that our ideology and political preferences fall within the nurture category of the nature vs. nurture debate. We acquire or ideas through life from countless sources, i.e. parents, friends, school, media, etc... In turn, I believe the brain changes somewhat (the brain is rather "elastic" to a degree) to account for these beliefs in the proper areas. It's kind of like looking at a top notch baseball players brain before he started playing baseball, but then 15 years down the road, his brain may have changed in areas as a means of assisting in hand-eye coordination and such.

What do you guys think?

I think a group of liberal researchers were confused about cause and effect:

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I think some liberal researchers got a little too stoned when coming up with that thesis.

So does this mean conservatives are better drinkers?
From Wikipedia:

The amygdala appears to play a role in binge drinking, being damaged by repeated episodes of intoxication and withdrawal. Alcoholism is associated with dampened activation in brain networks responsible for emotional processing, including the amygdala. Protein kinase C-epsilon in the amygdala appears to be critical for the development of high ethanol intake.

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I'm rude, crude and socially unacceptable, and politically uncorrect, and a truck driving conservative who lives near politicians b.s. central, and would like to introduce the politicians to the hood of my truck. I guess my brain is normal for someone who doesn't give a rats behind about the idiots in that freakin town I was born in.

Wow it felt good to let that out.

Anyone care for a beer?

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
A dude sits and drinks tea
Knock knock on the door
He opens the door
A group of guys ask him "Are you for republicans or for democrats?"
He says "For democrats"
They put down his pants, spank him, spill his tea
He sits and drinks tea again
Knock knock on the door
He opens the door
Another group asks him "Are you for republicans or for democrats?"
He says "For republicans"
They put down his pants, spank him, spill his tea
He sits and drinks tea again
Knock knock on the door
He puts down his pants, spills his tea, opens the door
A neighbor came to drink tea

/has a couple with kg ...

:)

Dr Thomas Stewart Von Drashek ... a much admired and feared legendary figure of myth and technical wizzardry ...

Upset him at your peril for he can strip paint with type ...

If you have not heard of him, Mad Mike, Charlie, Nick, Fuad .... hell ... where do I start??

That's the truth! I feel the same way. I despise where I live and currently am looking for any way out. It's not so much due to politics or anything like that, even though it is a very conservative small town and I think in an exact opposite matter.

And dirty...

Well, still having an intellectual battle where I am at. Can't seem to get anyone to come together and fix the problems we have.

Some say we need to end our wars and defund the military, others say doing so will harm America...that our allies are leaving us and we are all alone.

Some say we should not regulate as it will harm the economy and business, while others say that regualtion makes operations cheaper.

I'm sorry, but both sides are dumb. Get a life you two and fix this country. You are hurting my family...the People of the United States.

My definition of regulation, is an : Overseen operation where the people observe the system of operation so that there is greater efficiency and products to deliver while developing a smoother approach to business.

Basically, have the people of the United States oversee operations, rather than government operations. This is where to people can foresee trouble and report it to the courts.

It will also allow business of any size to work and coexist without any economic interference. I am no supporter of government control. Just look how they handle tax payer dollars.

gamer, if you think the Commerce Clause has been twisted into unbelievability, look at "militia" in the Second Amendment.

And the sad thing is that we know exactly what the framers had in mind. "The Federalist Papers" documents the public debate in almost mind numbing detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.