[SOLVED] Considered upgrading my GPU, but now I'm unsure if anything in my computer would need to be upgraded instead. Need opinions.

Infectedd

Prominent
Mar 30, 2019
Hello!
So, I have some basic hardware knowledge, mainly in terms of GPU and a little CPU stuff, but not so much everything else.
Recently, I went looking at a monitor that was 120hz, 3440x1440p.
I quickly found out that my graphics card cannot run such a monitor at a decent framerate, so I went looking for upgrades.
But then I began thinking, my computer is pretty old and the only thing I've ever upgraded on it is the GPU once before.
I need some advice, because I figured my motherboard is very very old and a new one isn't all that expensive, but then I would also need a new CPU and some new RAM, right?
Here are my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k 4ghz.
GPU: NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB.
RAM: 4x HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 4GB
Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45 (Socket-1150)
I cant recall the power supply right now, but I'll open up the case and find out if it's really needed.

What I'm mainly looking for in terms of responses would be if I need a new motherboard at all, what I should then get, and what processor I should get that is compatible with that new motherboard.

I wanted to upgrade to a 1080ti, as that supposedly could run the monitor, but for the moment I just want a motherboard that would be compatible with current and future hardware.
Thank you a lot for any answers, as I am not that informed on this specific topic yet and I feel like I need some advice before I go out and buy any new hardware.

Solution
Your CPU is actually pretty good still as it was top of the line back in the day. RAM is a definite issue, 8GB is the minimum you really need nowadays, but it depends a lot on your budget. As already suggested an SSD would certainly help.

Infectedd

Prominent
Mar 30, 2019
CPU: AMD AM4 Ryzen 7 1800x 3.2ghz 8 cores 16 threads (turbo is 3.7ghz).
MOBO: ASUS STRIX B350-F ATX
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 PC4-24000 CL15 Quad Channel Desktop Memory Kit

CPU cooling will be needed, your choice depending on case, etc 120 or 240 AIO should be doable.
GPU Is fine IMHO. I am looking at the GTX 1660 over the 1060 atm for my rig.
PSU: You will want ant a minimum 600w I recommend 650w.

Yep, my system is very old.
I'd rather stick with Intel, as I'm familiar with their systems and such and they seem to be at somewhat the same price. I already have an aftermarket cooler on my CPU and I think it should be able to be transferred to a new motherboard.
My PSU is also 700w if I recall correctly.
Thank you for the advice.

Captaingadget

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
Your CPU is actually pretty good still as it was top of the line back in the day. RAM is a definite issue, 8GB is the minimum you really need nowadays, but it depends a lot on your budget. As already suggested an SSD would certainly help.

Solution

Infectedd

Prominent
Mar 30, 2019
My PSU can support a new graphics card, I was just asking since I was concerned that an old motherboard with older equipment on it like I have would make getting a new graphics card obsolete.
I do have 16 GB of RAM in 4x4 GB RAM sticks, although they are DDR3.