considering a scooter purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitlin Kaschak459

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
ok so i have the chance to snag a razor ecosmart scooter new in the box from fingerhut for about 46$ a month. so the total price is 487.00 but its only 45 a month via fingerhuts credit line. but having never owned a scooter before i have a few questions

#1 for the price do you think this is a good scooter
#2 if the max rated range for this scooter is around 7-10 miles how do i determine how far i can go on a full charge i.e. if my route is say 11 min (5.4 mi) each way how would i know or be able to figure out if it will make the trip on a single charge

if i wanna ride the scooter to a location how do i determine if i can get to the location and back home without the battery dying on me cant always charge the batteries when out and about

lastly what else should i know about this scooter are there any good upgrades for it

my misses is concerned that i might get hurt riding this thing so shes on the fence about my buying it

https://www.razor.com/products/electric-scooters/ecosmart-metro-electric-scooter/

i have alot of people telling me its a stupid purchase

from some google searching it looks like i can upgrade the scooter a bit in terms of better batteries and the lot

the reason i was gonna buy this scooter is to help me get around my area i.e. down the street if i need some small groceries or if i just wanna grab taco bell or hit target. sometimes im not able to take the public bus so i either have to walk or beg my mom who lives across town to come take me

hence why i want the scooter

a scooter forum would have been a better place to ask this but you guys are like my family and i have always respected your input and opinions

so please put yourself in my shoes and give me an honest opinion

edit would also use this scooter to get me to the local computer shops

couldnt think of any other place to ask this and i have always valued the input from this sites members

Solution
Sounds like that isn't one for you and no, I don't have a scooter or said scooter.
The range mentioned, 7 to 10 miles, is maximum distance the scooter can go according to manufacturer. Said variation assumes light no no extra load and not at full throttle, likely no steep hills either. (higher speed, higher power usage)

That said, your mentioned 5.4 one way, times two, is practically impossible without recharge.(that or you would be going at most walking speed to conserve power)

in short, it's nice toy but short operating range really, really limits it a LOT.
If the battery upgrades can double the range, it'd be decent but.. double? not likely, extra capacity would need space and bring with it also extra weight so I don't see that...
Sounds like that isn't one for you and no, I don't have a scooter or said scooter.
The range mentioned, 7 to 10 miles, is maximum distance the scooter can go according to manufacturer. Said variation assumes light no no extra load and not at full throttle, likely no steep hills either. (higher speed, higher power usage)

That said, your mentioned 5.4 one way, times two, is practically impossible without recharge.(that or you would be going at most walking speed to conserve power)

in short, it's nice toy but short operating range really, really limits it a LOT.
If the battery upgrades can double the range, it'd be decent but.. double? not likely, extra capacity would need space and bring with it also extra weight so I don't see that happening.

Edit: I think segways and such have equal or longer (up to 24 miles) operating range. It also costs a lot more though.
most hoverboards also seem to boast similar or longer ranges than that scooter.
Not that I'm saying you should get either one, just pointing out that the range is indeed considerably lower than on other electric toys.

Solution

Kaitlin Kaschak459

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

just curious what if i swapped out the 3 7 amp hour batteries for 3 15 amp hour batteries would i get more range then

in theory, yes.
in practice, it could get tricky.
will the charger understand the higher battery capacity?
will the scooter?
are they same size, usually same type of batteries grow in size when you get batteries with higher capacity, possibly leading to "they wont fit in there"
changing battery type, from li-ion or lead or whatever there is to something else would not be advisable.

MasterChief86

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016

Is motorbike an option? Because I think while you might be able to find use for it, it still wouldn't help you out a lot unless you find time and convenience to fully or at least partly charge it so you can get back safely without the battery dying out on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.