Considering building gaming desktop, looking for opinions on components.

cs1394

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Hi, first post; first desktop build. To be honest, I'm making a move from consoles to pc so my knowledge is limited when it comes to a lot of the details in building one of these. All the same I've looked around a bit and have a vague idea of a rig. Just wondering if this should be ok or if I'm missing anything or if I've just been plain stupid here.

CPU: i7 4820k
Motherboard: Asus P8Z 77-V LX
Storage: 1 TB 3.5" Seagate ST1000DX001 SSD/HDD hybrid
GPU: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
RAM: Corsair 16GB
Case: Cit Vantage Blue

And already have mouse, keyboard, monitor. Basically I'm on a fairly flexible budget without wanting to go overboard and pay huge amounts of cash (Student here). But like I said, while I've done a bit of research the last few weeks, I'm not sure if this would get by. Would it be an ok machine? And how long would it last before needing an upgrade? Anything else I can do/change to make it better?
Thanks.

I would suggest going with the i7 4770K over the 4820K because I'm pretty sure it has a better upgrade path being on the 1150 socket over the 4820K's socket 1155, but I could be wrong.

Here is a build I threw together with parts in the same class as the processor. I only put 8 gigs of ram because that is all you need at the moment for gaming. Hope this helps.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WVk9t6

cs1394

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Thanks very much. Didn't even notice the socket number so yeah good point as far as upgrading goes. I'll change it to a 4770k and maybe a Gigabyte B85 HD3 motherboard as well. Thanks again.

cs1394

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Actually, 1 more question. In looking to shave a bit of the cost off I've already taken your advice about sticking to 8gb ram. I was also thinking of maybe using the GTX780 instead of the 780 Ti. Considering the price difference, is there really THAT much of a difference between them that makes the Ti worth paying out more for?