[SOLVED] Considering buying 144hz

I have a nice RTX2060 which I use, however I have heard people say that 60hz is not okay for today and that I must buy 144hz. I feel like this is false, however I have heard that 60fps feels sluggish after getting a 144hz monitor. I never took myself as a competitive gamer and I may pop onto CS:GO, minecraft, overwatch sometimes, but I mostly play AAA games and intensive games such as Red Dead Redemption 2, Rise of the tomb raider, The Witcher 3, Just cause, Hitman 2, you name it. And I doubt I will hit 144fps, however I especially like to play games at max graphics which the 2060 will do fine at 1080p, I am more of a High graphics AAA gamer rather than a CS:GO comp player. Therefore I just want to ask a few questions:

Am I living under a rock not owning a 144hz monitor?

Should I buy a nice 60hz 1080p curved g-sync epic monitor or a 144hz one?

Does 60fps feel sluggish if I will reach 144 in CS:GO but not in Red Dead etc?

I am afraid I will regret buying it and only be able to play csgo and some other games like that as other games will feel sluggish. Thank you!

Solution
D
After having a 144 Hz display for more than a year now, working on others' PCs with 60 Hz displays makes me feel like something's wrong. Like the system is underperforming, while in reality it's just my eyes not being used to that display. I really can't go back to 60 Hz.
D

Deleted member 2720853

After having a 144 Hz display for more than a year now, working on others' PCs with 60 Hz displays makes me feel like something's wrong. Like the system is underperforming, while in reality it's just my eyes not being used to that display. I really can't go back to 60 Hz.

Solution
Yeah that is the main problem I am worried about, I am fine with 60fps however people saying that 144fps should be a standard in gaming however I really don't want to go through the pain of it, especially when I get a new game. But then again, I feel like I am missing out.

I’m the same as above, having gone with 144Hz monitor I wouldn’t go back to 60Hz. However my feeling is you don’t need G-Sync/Freesync if achieving 100+ FPS, I have a G-Sync monitor but actually leave G-Sync off as it does introduce a very small amount of lag and I get 0 screentearing with it off.

I have just upgraded my TV to one with true 120Hz support for when I connect the PC and for next gen consoles which are going to support higher FPS.

Cameron231099

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2014
If you're going to ask about upgrading your monitor, post what monitor you currently have, can't tell you if it's worth upgrading if we don't even know if you're using a <Mod Edit> TN or a great IPS panel.

Regarding fps, yeah it's useful, you can make shots that are otherwise basically impossible- CS:GO Dust II double door AWP shots 144hz vs 60hz is around a magnitude easier to hit, literally. Watch Linus video for fps comparisons.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31kZbAXsA

If you're just using it as an AAA single player rig for story games like tomb raider, still probably worth upgrading to an IPS with higher resolution for better image quality, or just sell the RTX2060 since you're not even using it. Ultra settings generally improve image quality to extents that you will never notice, whilst costing major performance losses. Resolution on the other hand will be noticeable and you'll still very easily drive 1440p at high fps, 2k at decent 75+ and probably 4k on some games with an RTX2060 if you're fine with 60fps.

Last edited by a moderator: