Considering getting an iPod but I have a few concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

G3rain1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I've been wanting to get an iPod Nano for some time now but a few things are bothering me.

First and most importantly is the battery. I’ve heard that if it dies you’re screwed, you can’t replace it because it’s permanently attached and Apple won’t service it after the first year.

Also I want to know if it supports playlists. Can I store multiple lists and have the songs play in the order I want? And can I load all the MP3s I have now or can I only load one I buy off iTunes.

If I choose not to get an iPod what other MP3 players are good and meet the following requirements.

At least 4GB Flash Memory, not HDD.
Comparable size to iPod Nano.
Supports Playlists.
And has replaceable or serviceable batteries.

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
There are not many players with 4GB flash memory out there. Look these 2 up:
http://www.maxfield.de/en/max_sin.html
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2006/03/samsung-ypz5-review.php
There is also v10 from iRiver, not sure if they are selling it already thou, but it was showed on Cebit: http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.3050

But there are some that take memory cards, and cards come up to 4GB in size.
Sandisk E140 is one example (but it takes cards of up to 2GB in size I have heard)

Why FLASH? Micro hard drives are not worse and they are so much cheaper now.

Cartman0123

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
If you don't mind hard drive based, take a look at the Creative Zen Micro. Comes in a variety of colors as well, has a larger capacity of storage, and has an fm tuner. 8O

G3rain1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
That MAX-SIN look nice but it’s not out yet. :( I wonder if they’ll offer a plain audio version, I have no use for video capabilities.

Why FLASH? Micro hard drives are not worse and they are so much cheaper now.
I am against any thing mechanical like disks in electronic devices. It’s an obsolete technology and its long past time for it to die. Solid state all the way. You don’t really have an alternative for desktop computers but MP3 players are available with out moving parts so I choose to not support disks as much as I can.

xorzisten

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Unfortunatly you are very right about the iPod battery, if it does your screwed, several iRiver products has nice replacable rechargabel battery packs.
On the plus side, your iPod battery will probably last long enough before you will buy another one because of increased storeage size and never nicer features.

smittyhotep

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
i just picked up a nano, and i put rockbox on it. its great, all the crap that makes ipod suck is gone, replaced with fluffy rockbox goodness.

FAT_ALBERT

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006

Got mine in my hand, perfection. Sound quality blows the iPod out of the water, video and picture playback, radio, fm recording, mic recording, this thing is the Sh*t, I;v enever seen a better small capacity player, apart from my old Sandisk MX1 512MB blue, no color screen, only 512MB, heaven in sound quality, 72hours off one AAA battery, but there obsolete now :( , mine craped out.

Go with the Sansa e260 (4GB)...plus rockbox is working with Sandisk "unofficaly"

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I am against any thing mechanical like disks in electronic devices. It’s an obsolete technology and its long past time for it to die. Solid state all the way.

:lol: Nice joke!

I treat my Creative ZEN 20Gb like crap; average song size is just over 40Mb (WAV) and it's always getting bumped and knocked, especially at the gym. I've had it for 8 months and nothing has gone wrong. It also uses a hard drive.

Now as for iPod nano and scratches...

If battery is important get a Hi-MD unit, the majority of which have super convenient AA's (I get just over 24hrs using 1441kbps PCM and Sony MDR-F1 cans with 1x 2300Mah AA), expandable storage so you can have 400Gb if you really wanted, if it shits itself (which has never happened to me in 5 years of MD use even though it uses MO, which means moving parts) you don't lose all of your music, if you lose any, and it's not an iPod! :lol:

Don't get hung up on flash vs HD; HD has become really reliable and flash is not immune to going kaput (i.e. where'd my data go?)

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
someone on this forum mentioned his iPod HD 30GB suddenly died for no apparent reason. He didn't subject it to physical shock such as jogging or motorbike ride.

I wonder how many people had their iPOD battery died. How much would it cost to replace this Li-ion battery? I also heard review that the iPOD screen is vunerable to scratches.

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
My sisters ipod battery went kaput after about 3 months. Of course that was after we had to replace the thing because the OS decided to FUBAR itself. I happen to use a portable CD player with rechargable batteries. Its fine because most of the time it just sits at the disk i am working at.

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
My sisters ipod battery went kaput after about 3 months. Of course that was after we had to replace the thing because the OC decided to FUBAR itself. I happen to use a portable CD player with rechargable batteries. Its fine because most of the time it just sits at the disk i am working at.

I am confused with your acronyms. what is OC or Fubar?

Status
Not open for further replies.