Question Considering installing max RAM supported to PC (Dual/Quad Channel RAM)

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Currently I have 2x 16GB RAM sticks and my mobo supports 128GB RAM. I do intend to upgrade my RAM soon.
I intend to get 2 x 32GB sticks and later on replace my 16GB sticks
While I'm saving though if I installed an extra 2x 32GB sticks alongside my current 16GB sticks (assuming theyre the same speed which I intend to get) will it run in Quad Channel, Dual Channel, Dual Channel across 2 sets, or Single Channel?

kanewolf

Titan
Currently I have 2x 16GB RAM sticks and my mobo supports 128GB RAM. I do intend to upgrade my RAM soon.
I intend to get 2 x 32GB sticks and later on replace my 16GB sticks
While I'm saving though if I installed an extra 2x 32GB sticks alongside my current 16GB sticks (assuming theyre the same speed which I intend to get) will it run in Quad Channel, Dual Channel, Dual Channel across 2 sets, or Single Channel?
Unknown. You haven't listed the CPU. Different CPUs treat unbalanced RAM differently. Best case is 32GB in Dual Channel and 32GB in single. Worst case all in single channel.

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Why?

What do you use the system for that needs 128GB RAM?
What does you current usage show?

Unused RAM is simply wasted RAM and money.
currently it goes to around 70% - 75% usage (80% at most).
I tend to use my PC for modding games and (admittedly) do leave a lot of browser tabs open although my browser does have a system control feature that lets me limit RAM, CPU, etc... usage (Opera GX).

USAFRet

Titan
currently it goes to around 70% - 75% usage (80% at most).
I tend to use my PC for modding games and (admittedly) do leave a lot of browser tabs open although my browser does have a system control feature that lets me limit RAM, CPU, etc... usage (Opera GX).
You currently have 32GB.
If you're only ever getting to 80% of that, adding more RAM won't do anything.

Windows keeps unused code in ram in anticipation of possible quick reuse.
To see if you really could use more ram, start task manager while actively using the pc.
Select the resource monitor and look at the memory tab.
One of the columns will show the hard fault page rate.
A hard fault happens when a needed virtual ram page is touched and is not present in physical ram.
That is bad, it means that some lesser used ram needs to be swapped out to the page file and the missing page loaded.
A particularly painful thing if your page file is on a HDD.

If you have sufficient ram, your hard fault page rate should be zero or close to it.
If you see more, then adding ram can be useful.

The other good reason for adding ram is if you are running a batch app that can use lots of ram for workspace to avoid file i/o.