Considering upgrading my Graphics card,

jay0514

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hello guys, hope you're having a wonderful day/night.

I'm considering upgrading my Desktop,
I had a look around and the ATI HD 7870 looked really nice so at the moment that card is my choice,
I was just wondering if it will be compatible with my existing system.
So the details are;

Motherboard: EP43-UD3L
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 2.83GHz
with 4GB of ram
just wanted to make sure it was compatible..

P.S
When I bought this desktop, I didn't have much knowledge of computers (not that I do have a lot now anyway...) but the PSU I have, which is Great Wall 700sel , apparently doesn't have a good name in the gaming PC world. What is your verdict, would it be ok to have it with the new HD 7870 if I purchase it?

thanks guys.

might want to pick up a HSF and overclock the CPU, just in case. as the core 2 sereis will be similarish to like a phenom series, and will probably want an overclock to keep up with a major gpu change. And i cant say much about the psu, as very little information about its specifications isnt here atm.

jay0514

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Yeh I'm also going to buy a
CoolerMaster TPC 812 or Noctua NH-C14

so both of you think the cpu needs an upgrade soon?

its not required(I think) but after some time, it would be nice. This day and age, cpu architectures can go a long way with adding that extra fps in some games. It shouldnt be at utmost importance, but always keep it in mind in the back of the head.

jay0514

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

I see, I'll keep that in mind. I just thought it would be too much of a hassle as this would be my first time upgrading a PC, and replacing a cpu would mean a new motherboard in my case, and I just don't have that much knowledge to be confident :S
thanks for the answers :D :wahoo: