[SOLVED] Considering Upgrading, need opinions please!

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
Hello all,

I currently have a Gigabyte Gaming 7 z-170X motherboard with the i7 6700 skylake and a MSI 8gb 1070.

I am looking to upgrade to the Gigabyte Aorus Master and the i9 9900kf but here is my question. Its almost time for the Ampere series and i hear they will be 30-40% better than current GPU. I plan to wait for those, will i need an entirely different MB and CPU As well? or is buying the i9 9900kf and the gigabyte aorus master ok for the new gen? I dont want to screw myself by upgrading those now just to have to redo it for a new GPU. Any thoughts?

Solution
You'll be able to run the next generation Nvidia cards even on your current platform - why wouldn't you be?
If they go PCIe 4.0 they'll still run on older generation boards, just like 3.0 cards run on 2.0 (and even 1.0 as far as I know). Games and GPUs today barely use the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 anyway.

If you want PCIe 4.0 support anyway for future-proofing, AMD is the only one who offers that right now with their X570 chipset.

As for bottlenecking: you don't have to worry. That i9 will be more than enough - even a current gen i7 will probably be. Unless you do heavy workloads (rendering, and other things using lots of threads), the i9 is actually pointless compared to an i7 for gaming today.

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
You'll be able to run the next generation Nvidia cards even on your current platform - why wouldn't you be?
If they go PCIe 4.0 they'll still run on older generation boards, just like 3.0 cards run on 2.0 (and even 1.0 as far as I know). Games and GPUs today barely use the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 anyway.

If you want PCIe 4.0 support anyway for future-proofing, AMD is the only one who offers that right now with their X570 chipset.

As for bottlenecking: you don't have to worry. That i9 will be more than enough - even a current gen i7 will probably be. Unless you do heavy workloads (rendering, and other things using lots of threads), the i9 is actually pointless compared to an i7 for gaming today.

Reactions: Vilesyde
Solution