Considering upgrading to a new monitor...

The Diamond Carry

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hello all!

After years of dealing with a crappy HP 21.5" 1080p Monitor, I've finally decided to upgrade, But the question is which should i purchase, and which one is a overall better deal?!
The first choice is one IPS Acer XF270HU 27" WQHD 144Hz monitor $400 1440x2550p, second is the VA Acer ED347CKR 34" UW-QHD 100Hz Ultrawide for $500 3440x1440p, and the last choice is Dual TN ASUS MG248QR 24" Full HD 144Hz for $250 1080p.

The games i play consists of League, Rainbow Six, CSGO, and a little bit of Video editing...

Please express your opinions, i'm open to suggestions as well!

*I honestly don't understand the hype behind High refresh rates, i know that its "buttery smooth" but i personally don't understand it, does getting a 144hz monitor make u better at a game or something?*

**Different options for ultrawides: Dell U3415W 34.08" 60Hz IPS $486.96**

In FPS games, where reactions are required, it can come down to high FPS and low ping, but for most people and games 60fps is enough, assuming the FPS doesn't drop.

To drive 1440p at 60fps, you're going to want absolute minimum of GTX 1060 6GB, but realistic minimum of GTX 1070. Above 60fps, it depends on the game, the CPU and the card (and of course the games' settings), but a 1070 or 1070ti is generally enough.

Just throwing that in there before you spring $$$ for a 1440p monitor without a gfx card to do the job. ;)

If sticking at 1080p, a 1060 6GB is pretty much all you'll need, although perhaps a 1070 at very high FPS and high settings, or if using a multi-monitor setup. While the 1060 3GB is fine for 1080p, it's 3GB of VRAM is a limiting factor with some games.

As someone who has used panels ranging from 60hz to 240hz, I MUST say that the largest jump is from 60 to 144. What CPU/GPU are you working with? Personally, I'd recommend just going with a 24 inch 144 and then use your HP monitor as a secondary.

I know this sounds corny, but it's TRUE: Having a higher refresh rate has helped me IMMENSELY in FPS games such as Overwatch and CS:GO. The higher refresh rate allows for a FAR more fluid image, which makes it easier for me to adjust my aim. Receiving information 60 times a second is a lot less beneficial than 144. It won't IMPROVE your aim per se, but it'll definitely make tracking/aiming EASIER.

Agreed. Doesn't have to be expensive. This is a very high-quality unit for $30: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jCQRsY/logitech-g203-prodigy-wired-optical-mouse-910-004842, though if you have a mouse you like, OP, then, by all means, keep it.

The Diamond Carry

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

GPU and CPU shouldn't be a problem driving ultra / high settings in games above 60. I currently have a GTX 1080, and a i5 6600k. Looking at the ultrawide tho, i feel like its a better deal because A you get a 3440 x 1440p VA panel *ok for color reproduction* and B 100 Hz refresh rate which is miles ahead of 60hz all under $500. Where as for the other monitors they are hecka expensive for just one monitor, 1440p with 144 hz for about the same. The only downside to the ultra wide is their non-existent support on you tube, common light bleed, and some games just being too wide to even play, like league of legends or rainbow *just from owning one for a couple of days, but returned it*. Otherwise its a great monitor for watching movies and racing sims! Triple or Dual monitors are pretty dope because i can have one window open on one and play games on the other without prioritizing one application over the other. i know that Ultra wide's have the ability to split the inputs so it can mimic a dual monitor, but it kinda ruins the purpose of an ultra wide at that point.

I've current have a Blackwidow Chroma X, and a G502 by logitech. So we good there

I wouldn't even bother with 1440p 144hz, 1080 is still good imo. 100 definitely is a step up, but do note that if you're playing more intensive games, the 144 will still be just a bit better. Any reason that you linked that Asus Panel? There's an Acer 1080p 144hz panel for $190, a significant amount less: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PmyFf7/acer-monitor-umfg6aab01

As someone who uses a 3440x1440p monitor (with G-Sync), the experience is awesome all around. Though do note that if you're planning on streaming, I'd recommend a dual monitor setup any day of the week imho.

The Diamond Carry

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Honestly, the only reason i am linking the asus monitor is that my local Microcenter has it in stock.

Going back to the asus 24” 144hz 1080p monitor. i was thinking, back a couple of months ago, asus made a prototype of a bezel-less free kit that they unveiled at computex or something, and i was wondering should i get a 3 of those monitors? For the preparation of the upcoming kit? Or should i just stay with a big ultrawide / save up for a newly
released ultrawide.

That's entirely up to your preference. If you're not an EXTREMELY competitive player but still want to get some intense stuff done, the ultrawide will be fine. If you want to start streaming/recording, two standard panels would be better. How much is the panel at microcenter?