Consistent 2-3 second large spikes in packet loss, is this purely from my ISP?

heavensords1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
In the past couple days, we've been experiencing some serious packet loss across the board. It happens extremely often, no matter if it's playing games, streaming videos, or just general browsing. Tends to just be a second or two of packet loss and service comes back, but it's so often that it poses a serious issue for gaming of any kind.

A couple pingplots over a 30 minute timespan:
PingPlot to League of Legends servers
RZ3VJIt.jpg

PingPlot to google
BIxPMlr.jpg

Does anyone have any insight into what could be causing this? Whether on my end or on the ISP end.

Your charts show the packet loss starting at your router inside your house. It shows 57 and 70% loss.

It does cut things down. It is either your PC, the ethernet cable, the router.

If you are using Wifi then it likely is interference but since I see only loss and no high latency spikes I bet you are using ethernet.

Try disconnecting the router from the internet and ping the router ip. Although unlikely it could be garbage traffic coming in from the internet overloading your router. Also try your testing with the wifi disabled and only a single machine connected via ethernet. It will eliminate the possibility there is some issue between your machines causing it.

There is not much left other than a bad router if it happens on multiple machines and multiple cables.