Consistent A7V lock-up...

G

Ok, I'm using T-bird 900, A7V, 256 MB RAM, 17.2GB Hard drive (Quantum Fireball KA), GeForce DDR, Kenwood 62X CD and Soundblaster Live! Platinum. Every so often, my computer still locks up to a dead halt. Oh yeah, 300W Power supply and my processor temperature never exceeds 40C (case 25C). What the freak?! I'm thinking it has something to do with my SBLive Plat. Has Creative released any newer drivers? My RAM is also 100MHz, not 133. I think it is possible that this problem could be created by faulty RAM. Other than that, anybody have any guesses?

Thanks!
Charles

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>> My RAM is also 100MHz, not 133

Asus A7V runs memory at 133 by default as far as I know... unless you set it up for 100, you're having far less trouble then I'd think you would:)

G

I had those same problems (for a month and a half) especially when I was using ie 5.5 and waiting for a page to materialize.

I was ready to hang the m/b from a tree when "magento" mentioned that bios 1005a was out. I put it on and never had a problem since. There are now two subsequent revisions, 1005b and 1005c.

"Bubba" tried 1005b and was happy.

Maybe give it a try.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, try the new bios. But I'm willing to bet its either your ram or your sound card, in that order. Not even the actual sound card, just the Liveware (that is, if you have it installed). If you have Liveware on, take it off.
If taking off the Liveware and updating the bios (both free solutions to try first), you should get some good PC133 ram like Crucial or Mushkin.

G

I would guess it is your Geforce...but I dion't know what OS you are running... I have the fixes posted under graphics for win2k...

here is what i posted
---------------------------------------------
This is a problem (at least in win2k) with the registry and the agp driver....

Here are the latest nVidia drivers (I use 7.10 with my GTS)

http://www.apushardware.com/?action=downloads#detonator

The AGP fix is at:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/via_agp4x/

--"If you have a motherboard based on the VIA Apollo 133A, KX133 or KT133 you may find sometimes (not in all cases) that you can't get your graphics card to run at AGP 4x within Windows 2000, especially when using NVIDIA reference drivers. With these drivers the registry setting for AGP 4x on VIA Apollo 133A, KX133 or KT133 chipsets isn't enabled."

The other poblem is the registry under win2k.

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon-duron/amd_win2k_patch.html
-------------------------------------------
good luck

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I did some reading last night at Shary's Extreme in the forums and it seems that a lot of people over there are having similar problems.

Try taking out your sound card. Yes, take it completely out of your computer and uninstall the software and see if you still have problems.

I ain't seen a beating like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LiveWare 3.0 causes problems? Hmm...perhaps I should tell my brother to try ditching the Liveware. What are the symptoms? Just lockups?

TRENDING THREADS