[SOLVED] Consistent BSOD's occuring during general use.

Nov 4, 2019
Hi All,

Recently I have been experiencing regular BSOD's, There isnt anything specific I am doing when this happens, Mostly playing games ( Destiny 2 ) downloading files/updates, or just leaving the pc locked.

I have tried the following:

Reinstalled windows 10 , Upgraded BIOS to the newest version, Also installed latest updates of my drivers upon the installation of windows. Ran MEMTEST to check for any RAM issues ( came back with 0 faults ) Scanned my hard drive ( all tests passed ). Have ran driver verifier which did not provide any specific information on which exact driver may be causing this.

Specs:

Sapphire RX590 Nitro+

Ryzen 5 3600

Gigabyte AB350 Gaming Motherboard

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB ( Have disabled XMP and it is running at 2133mhz incase of a OC issue )

1TB Seagate FireCuda Solid State Hybrid Drive

Externally mounted Kingston SA400S37 SSD.

Aerocool Integrator 600W 80+ Power Supply

Software Installed:

Since the windows 10 reinstall I have only installed a few different applications:

-Malwarebytes

-Chrome

-Discord

-Xbox Game Passs

-Steam ( With some games installed )

- AMD Ryzen Master

Please see the onedrive link to the DMP files, Any help is appreciated. I am a IT analyst but have only had quite limited experience when it comes to solving BSOD's and am at a loss with this one.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgDJ7uuQLqqOhXr_khh3powDJWgm?e=ZcpH14

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, at least one of the crashes was caused by your NVIDIA GPU driver. I would use DDU (in safe mode) to remove all traces of the driver and reinstall it (in normal mode), or a different version. You can get different versions from the NVIDIA site, or just allow Windows Update to install it. More info can be found here.

Also there's 2 Logitech Joystick drivers on your system. I've seen them cause a crash recently on someone else's system. Consider removing them if you are not using them. If you are using them, consider temporarily disabling them to see if that helps. You can disable them by using AutoRuns.

Lastly, I would consider updating these 2 drivers:
Aug 08 2017 RTKVHD64.sys Realtek Audio...
Nov 4, 2019
This computer was pre-built for me a little while back, Before I had much knowledge of computers, Didn't know what I was getting at the time. I have since upgraded the CPU and Ram. ( Will be upgrading the rest over the next few months )

I reinstalled it using the windows tool from : https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

I believe i also used the media creation tool to create a bootable USB.

What PSU would you recommend?

Nov 4, 2019
Thank you, I will look into replacing the PSU. I'm still trying to figure out what part/driver may be the cause of this, And also look into upgrading that if needed, The DMP files dont seem to be giving me too much information when checking with bluescreenview.

Also to add more information, The error code are as follows:

ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY ( Happened twice today )
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE ( Happened once yesterday )
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA ( x1 )
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ( Happened multiple times over the past week )

These are all blaming Hal.dll and NTOSKRNL.

Nov 4, 2019
Crystaldiskinfo has reported a "Good" health status for my external SSD and the internal hard drive. I have also scanned this with Seagate tools.

These blue screens seem to occur most frequently when I leave my PC downloading/installing software.

Over the past hour I have gotten two "REFERENCE_BY_POINTER" BSOD's , pointing to NTKRNLMP.exe and also NTOSKRNL.exe

logainofhades

Titan
Crystaldiskinfo has reported a "Good" health status for my external SSD and the internal hard drive. I have also scanned this with Seagate tools.

These blue screens seem to occur most frequently when I leave my PC downloading/installing software.

Over the past hour I have gotten two "REFERENCE_BY_POINTER" BSOD's , pointing to NTKRNLMP.exe and also NTOSKRNL.exe

Not sure if this will help, but some things you may want to try.

https://windowsreport.com/reference_by_pointer-windows-10/

Reactions: Fragmxnted

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, at least one of the crashes was caused by your NVIDIA GPU driver. I would use DDU (in safe mode) to remove all traces of the driver and reinstall it (in normal mode), or a different version. You can get different versions from the NVIDIA site, or just allow Windows Update to install it. More info can be found here.

Also there's 2 Logitech Joystick drivers on your system. I've seen them cause a crash recently on someone else's system. Consider removing them if you are not using them. If you are using them, consider temporarily disabling them to see if that helps. You can disable them by using AutoRuns.

Lastly, I would consider updating these 2 drivers:
Aug 08 2017 RTKVHD64.sys Realtek Audio System driver https://www.realtek.com/en/
Oct 22 2018 rt640x64.sys Realtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver https://www.realtek.com/en/

One of the dumps you uploaded wouldn't download. There was some type of error. If the file is 0 bytes long, then that explains it. Dumps that are 0 bytes long are invalid. Full report here: https://pste.eu/p/IXnJ.html (BitDefender may incorrectly block that link.)

Also software generally won't cause BSODs, unless it comes with drivers such as anti-virus software. BSODs are usually caused by drivers or bad hardware.

All of the above is just guesses, except for the NVIDIA driver which did cause the 1st crash. It looks like you've already tested the hard drives. If none of the above helps, consider running memtest86 on each stick of RAM (1 stick at a time) for 4 passes.

Solution
Nov 4, 2019
Hi All,

Thank you for your help, Ill try the above and see if this helps.

I have since upgraded my GPU to a AMD Rx590 so will uninstall the Nvidia drivers and upgrade the realtek drivers and let you know.

Thanks

Nov 4, 2019
I have reinstalled my realtek drivers and reinstalled windows onto a new SSD that I have installed, I am no longer using a NVIDIA GPU so have removed all traces of the driver.

Unfortunately I am still getting these bluescreens, and a few different stop codes, Mostly Memory management and critical structure corruption.

I have also been given a replacement ram for my Corsair Vengance sticks, and this has not resolved the issue either.

Could it possibly be a compatibility issue between my motherboard and the model of RAM I am using.

The only things I have not changed so far is my PSU, my CPU ( which is fairly new and hasn't had any issues when I had installed it on my old setup ) and the motherboard.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried running memtest on the new ram?

Do you have latest bios for motherboard?
Have you run Prime95 on CPU? Memory controller is on the CPU.

Mostly Memory management and critical structure corruption.

both of these can be either hardware or Drivers. after a clean install I generally feel the chances you get same drivers twice are small unless you use an old piece of hardware - I don't see any mentioned.

until Gardenman converts the new dumps I cannot be sure.

Nov 4, 2019
I have ran a memtest on the ram I brought when I started having these issues with succeeded with all passes, This replacement ram is the exact same model from the supplier so I don't think its a faulty ram issue, But I will run memtest on these sticks aswell just to make sure.

I have not run Prime95 yet, Ill do that when I'm back from work.

I think the oldest hardware I have is the motherboard or the PSU now. Im also going to double check the RAM timings and voltages that are set under the XMP profile in the bios , just in case the bios is providing incorrect values to use for this XMP profile for my ram.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019
Hi All,

After running Prime95 I encountered the following errors:
[Thu Nov 14 20:20:36 2019]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4985705347, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4996208424, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4983050499, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4992603727, expected less than 0.4

Does Prime95 only test my processor? So would it be safe to assume that this is the issue? My CPU is running its stock OC.

Nov 4, 2019
Turns out everytime I run prime95 it BSODS my computer, I have 3 more DMP Files and can get more by running prime95 again if it helps.

Ive checked the voltage of my ram and its set to 1.35 with xmp enabled.
I get BSODS with prime95 with xmp disabled aswell.

I have also replaced the ram with a new set of the same model, So makes me think it might be the cpu.

Ill try to find a different model of ram to test.

DMP File location : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgDJ7uuQLqqOhXr_khh3powDJWgm?e=6suYWl

Nov 4, 2019
I have swapped this out with an older model of ram that originally came with my PC and it looks to have solves some of the errors, However some are still showing :

[Thu Nov 14 21:32:53 2019]
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
[Thu Nov 14 21:44:18 2019]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 4.351431276e+018, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4996185281, expected less than 0.4
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!

and no blue screen upon running this either.

gardenman

Splendid
I wasn't notified this thread was updated for some reason. I think I got all of the new dump files but it's difficult to tell when they are mixed in with the old ones. Here's the new info: https://pste.eu/p/c27K.html
File information:111419-7656-01.dmp (Nov 14 2019 - 16:05:34)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL (192)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: OneDrive.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

File information:111419-7359-01.dmp (Nov 14 2019 - 15:58:32)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: SkypeBridge.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

File information:111419-6765-01.dmp (Nov 14 2019 - 15:27:54)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (154)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 48 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

File information:111319-6687-01.dmp (Nov 12 2019 - 19:11:04)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks Gardenman, I think I may have found the cause of the issue anyway, Although I still get some hardware errors with my old model of ram when running Prime95, The amount of errors is significant to when I am using my new model of ram, and also no blue screens when using the old set. Ill purchase another set that is on the QVL for my Motherboard and will test and see.