[SOLVED] Consistent BSOD's Pointing At Unknown Problem?

EphyMusic

Commendable
May 4, 2017
Hey, how's it going, everyone? I'm having some serious issues with my computer today.

Let me first clear the air: I, myself, am not new to Bluescreenland. I've done a lot to check what the problem is, but I can't seem to figure it out.

This started about 2 days ago. My computer was working fine, I was having fun, just got Wallpaper Engine, was looking at all of the cool things people have done with it. My friend invited me to play VRChat, so I went with him. However, immediately started having problems upon joining his world, lot of stuttering and mini-hangs, and soon VRChat crashed. I booted it up again, joined his world, VRChat crashed. I booted it up one more time, sat in my private world for about 5 minutes with no crashes, no hangs, nothing. So I joined on him. Boom, it crashes not 10 seconds later, but instead of just VRChat, it's my entire computer. It hard locks. Audio is stuck, screen goes black, no BSOD after a minute, so I restart the computer.

I try once again to log into VRChat. I thought, maybe that was a bad boot for some of my drivers? Surely it won't happen again.

Bam, crash, no BSOD, hard lock again. Restart, Crashes while logging in, this time with a Stop Code: Kernel Security Check Failure.

I've had this before, and nothing bad happened after. So I boot up, check again, it took 5 minutes for my PC to get past the log in screen after putting in my pin.

Usually my computer takes about.... 30 seconds or so. 5 minutes tells me something is not right.

I shut down Wallpaper Engine, thinking maybe that was an issue. Told it to stop loading up at start. Restarted my computer. Still 5 minutes-ish to log in. At this point I'm just getting frustrated. I boot up TeamSpeak, nothing seems to be extra wrong, except I noticed that the animation for bringing up my auto-hidden task bar is very stuttery. I check my task man, which took about a minute to fully load up, and my CPU usage is 100%, mainly through System Interrupts, system, a bunch of windows stuff. (Also, I'm currently getting malwarebytes to do a quick virus scan, just to make sure)

Before TeamSpeak has fully loaded up, which was also taking much longer than usual, but that makes sense because my CPU was being absolutely railed, I get another BSOD, this time it's different. IRQL not less or equal. Cause: xboxgip.sys

My friend told me it's the RAM. But I couldn't even get into my PC to schedule a memdiag. Everytime I tried to log in from this point, it would BSOD. It was either the Kernel Security Check, the IRQL thing? Or Page Fault in Non-Paged Area. Again, xboxgip.sys.

My thoughts were thus: Either my RAM is cooked, which would be upsetting because two of the sticks I just bought and installed a couple of weeks ago and the other two were only 6 months old, or xboxgip.sys was causing all of my problems.

Now, I can't uninstall xboxgip.sys with xboxgip.inf, because it's system critical. Microsuck won't let me figure out if that's the problem. But BSOD after BSOD, finally I did something weird. I plugged the Xbox controller that my friend gave me in (I hate xbox controllers, but it was the only way ATS would let me play it, it won't let me use PS4 controllers), booted it, it bsods, I unplug it, after that long wait, I finally get into Windows. Things are super sluggish. Stupid sluggish. But I manage to schedule a memdiag. And what it tells me makes me want to hurl.

Hardware problems were detected. To solve these problems, contact your computer manufacturer.

First off Microsoft, I AM the computer manufacturer. But of course, Microsoft doesn't give the consumer any competent tools for figuring out what these problems are, why would they do that?

I went and grabbed a program called memtest86. I'm sure many of your are familiar with it. I let it run while I went to sleep, and I woke up to it telling me something wonderful: 0 errors.

0 errors. Now, my thoughts are on my motherboard or the OS.

Here's my question: Should I reinstall windows, lose all of my programs, in the hopes that maybe it's the OS? Or should I trust Microsoft and buy another motherboard?

I'm certain many people will be asking for specs, so here we go.
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (non-OC)
AMD Radeon 5700XT (non-OC)
4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3000MHz (non-OC)
Sound Blaster X AE-5 (Love my sounds.)
Asus Prime x370-A (can't find this board anywhere anymore, it's so damn pretty)
NZXT Case (that's important, because I use NZXT CAM)
NZXT Kraken Z (the smaller, two fan option, again NZXT CAM, drivers)
Razer keyboard and mouse and mouse pad (Important because drivers, again, Razer Synapse 3)
2 HDD's (C:\ is 1TB seagate, 64MB cache, so no SMR, D:\ is 500GB Laptop Drive)
1 1TB Samsung QVO SSD (I call it the Yeetatron)

I would like to note that I tried running a chkdsk, it BSOD'd at the end of that (it was a pre-windows one, too, not a during windows one. I had to check my main disk), so... I even tried using the "Reset this PC" option, and it BSOD'd during that! Funny enough, both times, it said xboxgip.sys was the cause. Also, after the second BSOD, it refuses to save the dmp files, it just sits at 100% until it is manually restarted. Which is frustrating.

I also find it amazing that microsoft's provided tool for reading .dmp files manages to fail to read them every time. I have to use BlueScreen Viewer.

Finally, the virus scan has completed and, aside from what MWB assumes are PUP's (which are actually programs that I installed myself and trust, because I know what they do), PC is clean.

I'm at a loss here, guys. This is seriously worrying and upsetting.

OOP forgot to mention, system seems to be running just fine in Safe Mode.

EDIT: two new ones. Interrupt Exception not handled (I assume that's USB or some other peripheral or CPU related), and now System Thread Exception not handled. This is... worrying? To say the least.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Slow load times after the Login can mean PC is waiting for a device to respond before it fully loads. Try unplugging all USB devices, speakers, external hdd etc and see if its still laggy.

You should be able to set the belowup in safe mode but you won't get any driver related errors in safe mode. Will need to run in real mode.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Last edited:

EphyMusic

Commendable
May 4, 2017
Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to provide that for you, I can't give you that. Nothing is being saved as far as data collection for BSOD's. I actually already had that set up as well, did that about 3 months ago. I hadn't gotten anything from this for a while, so I'm doing a reinstall of windows. At least I hope I am, it's been sitting here at "Getting Ready" for at least 30 minutes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
30 minutes... yeah, thats not working

have you unplugged all non essentials?

i would only have 1 drive attached when you install - gives it less choice, and less things to slow it installing
remove soundblaster - can always install after windows is on
mousepad rgb or you just thought you mention it?

EphyMusic

Commendable
May 4, 2017
Jeez, I really wish TH was better at giving me notifications. The reinstall finally went through got all of my essential drivers going, and I haven't had a BSOD, so I really think it was some bad driver files that windows refused to fix, even with SFC.

EphyMusic

Commendable
May 4, 2017
But now I'm having an issue where any html5 video I attempt to watch just shows green. Regardless of the browser I use. New install on the display driver, the latest one for AMD. Just waiting on these windows updates to finish so I can check if it continues after that.

EphyMusic

Commendable
May 4, 2017
Yeah, if it were flash, I'd have blamed flash, lol. But yeah, this is a tad annoying. Sorry for not seeing your messages! These were all great suggestions, though I did not have anything plugged in whatsoever, other than my keyboard and mouse and my install flash drive, was trying to eliminate all possibilities, you know? Just kept dying, though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Version 20H1 is meant to be out now but due to covid19 it was stalled a while longer... so the November 2019 version is latest ISO and it saves your PC having to connect to the download server and install it once you are finished. INstalling it only leavers you about 5 updates to get afterwards...

Maybe make a new installer next time you need it :)

EphyMusic

Commendable
May 4, 2017
Alright, the updates fixed my green video issue. I suppose all is well, now! Sorry to trouble everyone, but jeez, this crap was so sudden and worrying. Legit thought I'd have to replace my mobo.

EphyMusic

Commendable
May 4, 2017
Alright so I ran one final memdiag (not memtest86, but Microsuck's diagnostic tool), and it still says hardware problems were detected, but I have yet to have any BSOD's, even after pulling all of my devices for the test. I'm almost certain now I have to replace the motherboard, because two memtests told me there was absolutely nothing wrong with my RAM.