Question Consistent freezes for most actions

Aug 17, 2021
Hi. I've had this PC I built for about a year and today I started getting freezes for most actions on my PC. Pressing a button? Opening a program? Selecting an option in a program? Most result in a freeze where my screen goes black and my PC takes no input (mouse and keyboard do nothing). Eventually it comes back, but will definitely do it again on one of the next actions. Even just entering my pin to get into windows causes this. Also, a bunch of pixel clusters show up pretty consistently and some of them move around.
So far I've tried disabling all power save/blanace options and most options in the bios with no changes. I had 2 monitors and thought maybe I needed to unplug one, but that doesn't seem to make a difference either.
There don't seem to be any spikes in usage/performance in task manager.
I have a 1660ti and have tried uninstalling the driver and doing fresh/clean installs as well as normal express installs of different driver versions with no changes either. Interestingly when I go to device manager and do "uninstall device" under "display adapters" on the 1660ti entry, it is mostly solved for awhile, but on restart it is no longer fixed. And if I reinstall the drivers it also goes back to the freezes.
Everything was fine until today, and there have been no updates or anything since the last time I used it when it was fine. I leave my PC on most of the time and today when I woke up I went to use it and it was in this state.
My PC is unusable for any actual use in this current state, so I would definitely appreciate some help.

Aug 17, 2021
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

AMD 2700X with EVGA 1660 Ti XC Ultra
Motherboard is a Gigabyte model that I can't find the # of right now, and it has 32gb ram with the Windows 10 on an m.2
PSU is a Corsair RM850x.

UPDATE: Can't even get into windows now, so I'm unable to produce a full spec list. I get multiple freezes when trying to type in my pin, and then when I finally press enter, it all goes black (still on, but unresponsive) and has yet to recover. Been minutes and multiple restarts with the same result.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021
By resetting windows you don't get confirmation of hardware fault as sometimes resetting even makes the system behave worse. To eliminate software issues you need to do a clean install of windows.
Clean install from a USB now and same issue. Can't even setup windows without it getting in the way near the last steps. I only have 1 GPU and I'm using a 2700x (no integrated graphics), so not sure how I can test the GPU, but that seems to be the issue, no? Should purchasing a new GPU fix the issue?