CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920x
RAM: 16.0GB Single-Channel DDR4
Motherboard: ASRock X399M Taichi
Graphics: 4095MB NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Storage: 250GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD & 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Cooler: Kraken x52 Cooler
PSU: Corsair 750m
=======================================================================

Due to an unfortunate shipping accident 9 months ago, I had to rebuild my computer. While I listed a 1080 graphics card, I originally had (and still own) an RTX 2070 card. Shortly after building my computer I had consistent crashing on any high video card utilization software. This is most commonly while playing games, using game development software (ex: Unity), and other intense rendering software like Adobe Photoshop or Affinity Publisher. I tried many fixes over the course of 8 months, but all of them were software focused and the issue appeared to be either a faulty graphics card or faulty drivers.

While the error would change depending on what application I ran it was almost always some form of: Video Card Disconnected

I can usually use the software for ~2 hours before a crash occurs. I've monitored utilization, temperatures, and more and nothing seems out of the ordinary (although a few different pieces of software misreport the CPU temp, but I can see that it's correct with the AMD application). After reading some other forum posts I came to the conclusion that it was a hardware problem. At the end of August I purchased a refurbished GTX 1080. The crashes are slightly less frequent, but still occur in every application which leads me to believe it was not in fact a hardware problem (RIP).

I'm looking for any advice on how to solve this issue. I can also provide any more information that you may need. I can't list everything I've done in the past 8 months, but hopefully its clear they weren't major fixes.

Generic tips that I've tried:
  • Updating drivers / windows
  • Reinstalling drivers / windows
  • Using older versions of drivers / windows
I worry that it might be a motherboard issue. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Please try another PSU unit as soon as possible.
This is the most common issue, even on newer PSU units.
Also inspect PSU connections and cabling for any obvious defects, especially symptoms of overheating.

Oct 12, 2019
Please try another PSU unit as soon as possible.
This is the most common issue, even on newer PSU units.
Also inspect PSU connections and cabling for any obvious defects, especially symptoms of overheating.

I will double check the connections and cables. I should have mentioned that I had used this PSU previously in my other computer, but I had only had it for a year. It was the only piece of hardware I could salvage from the old one.