Question Consistently high ping while online gaming

Dec 19, 2020
Hello, recently I have had some issues with high ping while online gaming. For the past 3+ years we've had the same ISP and router and I've been using the same PC and powerline adaptors with 0 changes and had no issues at all with the internet and played LoL at around 23ms average on the EUW server. Recently, around October, I moved away for around 7 or 8 weeks and took my PC with me. When I came back, I brought my PC back and plugged it in and set up everything the exact same way I had always had it, but I started to notice my ping was now around 60ms average while playing. This wasn't too much of an issue though as I could still carry on playing and didn't take much notice. The past 2 days however, my ping has been at a constant 130ms while playing which makes it unplayable. In terms of hardware, absolutely nothing has changed for the past 3 years and my ISP has always been EE. When I check my internet speeds on speedtest.net everything seems to be normal. Any ideas as to what is causing this and what to do about it? Thanks.

PS: Each of the 3 pings I posted (23ms, 60ms, 130ms) were all consistent, it wasnt like a spike or anything, that would be the normal ping at all times.

I use haste when I need to do specific tests where I can't have a client change ISP.

https://haste.net

Get a free account, test - if its better;

1. Check your resource monitor and make sure nothing is draining your network
  2. Call your ISP and check with them to make sure nothing has changed on their end (just because your end doesn't change, doesn't mean an ISP hasn't made internet network changes, or even hardware changes)

TRENDING THREADS