Question Console vs 4K UHD Disc Player

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
I have a large 4K OLED computer monitor, and I was thinking I want to set it up to watch 4K movies and tv shows with it. I also want the system to be able to play older movies and tv shows that are on DVD or the older type of 1080p blu-ray discs.

I also happen to be a PC gamer.

So I noticed the new gaming consoles happen to work as movie and tv show disc players, or at least the PS5 does. (Unfortunately it looks like there are too many problems with trying to get 4K UHD discs to play on a PC to bother with, so I don't think I'll be able to simply run them on my gaming PC).

The computer monitor has both display port and HDMI connections, and unfortunately does not support Dolby Vision.

I'm wondering if you think I should go with some kind of standalone 4K UHD disc player to play all these kinds of discs, or if I should get one of the gaming consoles to perform this function.

The thought occurred to me the PS5 has the PS VR 2, and maybe that would be a better movie watching experience than the 4K monitor? I don't really know.

Solution
Having a 4K friendly Asus BW-16D1HT 4k blu-ray, DVD, CD internal burner with the correct BIOS. It reads and rips but does not play 4k blue-ray disks. As mentioned SGX is a stop sign. I use a stand alone player for 4k excellent audio/video for home entertainment.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I have a large 4K OLED computer monitor, and I was thinking I want to set it up to watch 4K movies and tv shows with it. I also want the system to be able to play older movies and tv shows that are on DVD or the older type of 1080p blu-ray discs.

I also happen to be a PC gamer.

So I noticed the new gaming consoles happen to work as movie and tv show disc players, or at least the PS5 does. (Unfortunately it looks like there are too many problems with trying to get 4K UHD discs to play on a PC to bother with, so I don't think I'll be able to simply run them on my gaming PC).

The computer monitor has both display port and HDMI connections, and unfortunately does not support Dolby Vision.

I'm wondering if you think I should go with some kind of standalone 4K UHD disc player to play all these kinds of discs, or if I should get one of the gaming consoles to perform this function.

The thought occurred to me the PS5 has the PS VR 2, and maybe that would be a better movie watching experience than the 4K monitor? I don't really know.
Will an external 4k blu-ray/DVD player work for you?
https://www.amazon.com/External-Blu-ray-Portable-Optical-Windows/dp/B07ZXS67Y1

I was told there are all kinds of problems with getting 4K movies/tv to work on a PC because of DRM or something.

You're certain I could just plug that into my gaming PC and run 4K discs (and actually get 4K resolution) from them?
You need the appropriate software to watch the movie directly. Unfortunately free video players like VLC do not natively support Blu-Ray playback. And while there are libraries that say they'll enable Blu-Ray support, it's up in the air if those libraries are good for everything since the DRM is constantly updated.

After that, you also need the right hardware, though any GPU made since 2016 works.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Having a 4K friendly Asus BW-16D1HT 4k blu-ray, DVD, CD internal burner with the correct BIOS. It reads and rips but does not play 4k blue-ray disks. As mentioned SGX is a stop sign. I use a stand alone player for 4k excellent audio/video for home entertainment.

Solution