Question constant 0 usage while gaming

SanZ13

Prominent
Dec 2, 2021
Hello so i have a problem, when im playing games my gpu is at 0% usage it happend after cleaning the graphics, ive checked everything and everything connected good idk whats the problem.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i3 10100
GPU: GT 1030
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B460M DS3H
RAM: 8x1

brianseabury2

Honorable
Nov 26, 2017
if it happens temporairly that's no big deal. if under performance its constantly at 0 percent that means that im guessing the graphic you want to be enabled isn't enabled. nvidia no longer controls which gpu is used. right click nvidia control panel it will say windows now controls whether the discrete or integrated is used. manually find the application. switch it to dedicated or integrated.

brianseabury2

Honorable
Nov 26, 2017
you use up substantially more power. recent games will run phenomenally better although recent integrated graphics are starting to hold their own. you can play the witcher 3 on recent integrated graphics. it used to be that integrated graphics allowed you to play at higher resolutions than dedicated but discrete graphics are getting better in that respect. you can still play older games at 4k with a newer igpu but if you want to play a recent game theyre about the same. 1080p at low with integrated. 1080p at ultra with dlss with discrete.

brianseabury2

Honorable
Nov 26, 2017
with only 8gb ram the 1030 is better especially in newer games. if you had an 11th gen the integrated graphics would be preferred to the 1030 especially if you got the terrible ddr3 version. the gddr5 version is a great low power graphics card. unfortunately integrated graphics with plenty of ram can display older games at higher resolutions than it can. this means there are pros and cons to getting the 1030 if you don't care about playing games like the witcher 3 and newer. 11th gen can now do that as well though so if you had an 11th gen you really would have to think twice about enabling the discrete graphics.

SanZ13

Prominent
Dec 2, 2021
with only 8gb ram the 1030 is better especially in newer games. if you had an 11th gen the integrated graphics would be preferred to the 1030 especially if you got the terrible ddr3 version. the gddr5 version is a great low power graphics card. unfortunately integrated graphics with plenty of ram can display older games at higher resolutions than it can. this means there are pros and cons to getting the 1030 if you don't care about playing games like the witcher 3 and newer. 11th gen can now do that as well though so if you had an 11th gen you really would have to think twice about enabling the discrete graphics.
i will keep it this way then but that doesnt fix the low usage

brianseabury2

Honorable
Nov 26, 2017
try playing a game. low usage isn't necessairly bad if it doesn't need to be used. are you implying that the microsoft basic display adapter is being used. check for that in device manager. your cpu should be being used more than usual if that was the case.