[SOLVED] Constant 70-80 celsius CPU, do i need more fans or reapply thermal paste?

Muwx

Commendable
May 24, 2019
Alright, so out of no where my CPU just starts to get really hot, this was right after i updated drivers for my GTX 770 (i have an rtx 3060 now) when im doing nothing temps are around 72-80 can go as low as 65, i have updated windows 3 times now, i have changed settings in BIOS but then my displays wouldnt work so i reset BIOS settings and now its hot again. So im down to 2 solutions; Either i need more fans or i need to reapply thermal paste.

It can at times go up to 90+ and has gone to 100 once or twice.

I have 2 fans, i have ordered 3 more.
My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600 with the Wraith stealth cooler, the one that comes with it.
And my motherboard is a Rog strix gaming B550-F
And my case is a Focus G

Solution
I believe i've somewhat fixed the issue, i put max cpu temp to 75 and according to armoury crate (my motherboards software) im below 70 almost all the time, goes up to 71 from time to time, im gonna trust Armoury Crate with the temps
Alright, so out of no where my CPU just starts to get really hot, this was right after i updated drivers for my GTX 770 (i have an rtx 3060 now) when im doing nothing temps are around 72-80 can go as low as 65, i have updated windows 3 times now, i have changed settings in BIOS but then my displays wouldnt work so i reset BIOS settings and now its hot again. So im down to 2 solutions; Either i need more fans or i need to reapply thermal paste.

It can at times go up to 90+ and has gone to 100 once or twice.

I have 2 fans, i have ordered 3 more.
My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600 with the Wraith stealth cooler, the one that comes with it.
And my motherboard is a Rog strix gaming B550-F
And my case is a Focus G
Don't see a reason for GPU drivers to influence CPU temps. this must have been going on for some time, longer than you realize, it just creeps up on you.
72-80's is not unexpected for OEM cooler. Paste also couldn't be on long enough to deteriorate if it was properly applied in first case.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sounds like you need to do thermal paste again maybe

How are case fans set up? both on intakes?
probably need 1 exhaust fan on rear, i don't think you need 3 more unless you replacing 2 now?

3060 might have added to heat of the air cpu is ingesting so one more exhaust might help get hot air away from cpu

Muwx

Commendable
May 24, 2019
I have 2 fans in the front, i was planning on putting 1 in the back and 2 above the mobo, my CPU was hot even before i installed the RTX 3060 which was yesterday, my PC even shut down because of being too hot when i was using the GTX 770, but i'll be putting on new thermal paste then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
probably do with 1 in roof above CPU and one behind it, that would help remove the hot air from case. You don't want too much exhaust or all the dust will try to get in the gaps in case instead of in through intakes, you can create negative pressure. Its no big deal, I have more exhausts than intake and all I find is I have to clean the top of my Fractal Design meshify every month or so.

Muwx

Commendable
May 24, 2019
It still is too hot, i reapplied thermal paste, im guessing its the fans then
64-70 degrees when im on desktop and i have discord, steam, core temp and chrome open

Colif

Win 11 Master

Muwx

Commendable
May 24, 2019
I changed some settings in BIOS, i put some stuff to Offset mode and i set the CPU fan to max and its like 5-10 degrees hotter, and yes it is summer here, 20 degrees outside, core temp tells the heat of the CPU

Colif

Win 11 Master
i see but there are sensors on mb that show CPU temps and sensors inside the CPU that do as well, and its difficult to tell which you are seeing with that app.

I have 2 fans in the front, i was planning on putting 1 in the back and 2 above the mobo,

I have 3 x 140mm exhaust fans in the same layout as you have above, on my pc, the motherboard temps are almost always the same. 34c.

You might find you don't need 3, the front top one might not be necessary, I have been contemplating removing mine as all it seems to cool is the aio cable which doesn't need it really. All it does is exhaust air being blown into case.

Last edited:

Muwx

Commendable
May 24, 2019
I have no idea which sensor im seeing, im gonna see if my motherboard drivers are out of date, might that be the problem if so?

My temps after setting BIOS to default are around 60 and 70 Idle, still too much but safe i think, as soon as i start a game i go from 70 all the way up to 88 at times. That is in SnowRunner.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Dont waste your money on case fans. The interior of your case is probably pretty cool. Your wraith cooler is holding you back.

Case fans might drop temp a small amount, new high performance cpu cooler is where the big temperature drops will be.

To test, take off the side of the PC case, that will give you access to more fresh air. If it's still running hot case fans aren't the answer.

Dont waste your money on case fans. The interior of your case is probably pretty cool. Your wraith cooler is holding you back.

Case fans might drop temp a small amount, new high performance cpu cooler is where the big temperature drops will be.

To test, take off the side of the PC case, that will give you access to more fresh air. If it's still running hot case fans aren't the answer.

If the heat isn't removed from the case even a very good cooler will simply circulate heat around inside the case until the heatsink is thermally soaked and can't remove any more heat from the CPU.

Good case airflow is absolutely critical to maintain proper cooling.

Muwx

Commendable
May 24, 2019
I believe i've somewhat fixed the issue, i put max cpu temp to 75 and according to armoury crate (my motherboards software) im below 70 almost all the time, goes up to 71 from time to time, im gonna trust Armoury Crate with the temps

Solution