[SOLVED] Constant audio stuttering/loud distortion with complete loss of audio at times. Issue tied to intel wireless driver. Any ideas how to fix it?

jayf95

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
I have my onkyo ht r390 receiver connected to my MSI x570 gaming edge wifi motherboard via optical. Rest of my setup: 16gb ram, ryzen 3600, gtx1070

1) This issue popped up a couple weeks ago and has been driving me crazy. It started off by all of a sudden hearing a really weird audio issue with my headphones connected to the receiver. Its hard to describe but its as if I was hearing 5.1 channel audio in stereo mode, but 4/5 channels were extremely dull and quiet. So some instruments sounded normal but everything else was distorted or dull. While I have dolby digital 5.1 output from my windows audio settings, this was never an issue in the past. However, audio was normal when I unplugged the headphones from the receiver and listened to music through my speakers.

2) After I restarted, I had the same headphone issues, but now I had a horrible stuttering issue even when listening through the speakers. It wasn't correlated to any hardware issues as I saw nothing weird in resource monitor when the stuttering happened.

3)After reinstalling the audio driver, the headphones were fixed but the stuttering issue persisted.

4) I did some research and other people with similar issues fixed suggested their wireless network driver was at fault. I disabled the driver (via device manager), restarted and audio was magically fine all of a sudden.

5) Audio was fine for a few nights then the stuttering came back. I noticed that the wireless driver somehow re-enabled. This time, I uninstalled the wireless driver (Intel dual band wireless ac-3168). Audio issues fixed again...temporarily.

6) For about a week, after getting back from work each night (ie not using the pc for ~15hrs) the audio stuttering would reappear. I could fix it by disabling and uninstalling the wireless network driver. It took multiple restarts and eventually audio would be fine.

7) Now after work every night, I just lose audio completely. The pc is not restarted between when I go to bed (and audio is fine) and when I come back from work. I can still fix it by uninstalling/disabling the wireless driver but Its getting really annoying and takes more restarts. Plus when it does work, it takes a few minutes before audio randomly comes back.

One issue is the wireless driver keeps installing itself every time I restart. Restarting after disabling the wireless driver still keeps it disabled but often it isnt enough and I need to uninstall the driver, restart, disable the magically reinstalled driver, restart again, audios back but stuttering, repeat again and then it works.

I dont use wifi so how can I completely get rid of this driver? I am certain it is behind the issues. I have tried updating the driver via MSI's website, but it makes no difference. In fact I believe the updated driver is the issue but I have no way to roll back

any ideas? thanks

Solution
the driver reinstalls automatically because of windows update.
here are 3 solutions to prevent windows update to update your drivers :

1 - by manually installing the latest wireless driver available from intel's website directly

2 - by removing the ability of windows update to update this driver in particular :

3- by disabling your wireless LAN interface directly in the BIOS (90% chances there is an option for that. check the motherboard's manual if you don't find it)

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
the driver reinstalls automatically because of windows update.
here are 3 solutions to prevent windows update to update your drivers :

1 - by manually installing the latest wireless driver available from intel's website directly

2 - by removing the ability of windows update to update this driver in particular :

3- by disabling your wireless LAN interface directly in the BIOS (90% chances there is an option for that. check the motherboard's manual if you don't find it)

Solution