Constant black screens while gaming

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Sometimes in some specific games I get some "screen blinking", the screen turns completely black and the game continues. Normally I pause and close the game afterwards, but I have discovered that it only happens when I look into an specific place. For example, I'm stuck in a certain part of Dishonored because looking into a builiding which I have to enter makes this problem appear. When I pause it stops but immediately when I unpause the game the problem reappears.

It actually is very strange because my GPU is a GTX 1050 and it is supposed to be able to run the game, aswell as my CPU and RAM. Also this happens in Dishonored and Tales of Zestiria but it won't in more demanding games such as PUBG Rocket League and even a highly modded Skyrim.

I have been looking a lot into this problem and I am having no luck at it. Im in a strange spot because I have no longer warranty for the GPU, I can't test it in another setup and I already have changed from HDMI ports and that leaves other ports which my monitor does not support. From my expierence and what I have been able to observe, the problem seems to be in the full-screen mode.

NOTE * I have tried using other monitor, specifically a screen in which the problem persists*.
* There is an already half good solution, I can play these games in windowed mode and force them to be borderless so I can simulate a full-screen mode, this way the problem is fixed. Either way it is not supposed to work this way so if I dont find a better solution I'll have to stick with this*

I would apprececiate a lot some help here. I've been way too much time trying to solve this problem on my own

Solution

Then its probably the PSU. If you need help with finding a PSU tell me what connectors the video card has
Ex. 2x8Pin connectors or 1x6Pin by 1x4 Pin
*Any listed PSU i give will be off amazon*

If its actually not the PSU i still recommend a upgrade otherwise because its working hard probably. Make sure its not a off brand PSU if you are searching for one. I recommend EVGA

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018

Make sure your motherboard and GPU drivers are up to date and make sure that there is no older drivers installed in the GPU

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017

Ok i got the GPU drivers set but I don't have the slightest idea how to update the motherboard ones

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018

Did you build this system?

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017

No, I bought it and upgraded the GPU

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018

Are you having the same issue?

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017

Well I checked what I could and everything is up to date, nothing changed

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018

Are you using any display cable adapters like HDMI to VGA?

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017

No, only the cable

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017

Yeah, it started when I installed the new GPU
No I did not even try to overclock it, I read it could damage it if not done correctly. The most similar thing I did was to change between ventilation profiles with the program that came included with the card, Xtreme Gaming. I only changed between normal fan speed and faster speed when I knew I was gonna play for a long time, I use it no more though, you think that had something to do?

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018
Whats your PSU
Are you using the correct cables to power the GPU
Monitor GPU Temps

What are the temps that are being displayed?
Also if you have more than one montior. Just try running one and see what happens

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017

I've got a 460W PSU, the card does not have a slot for direct connection to the PSU.
I normally have this issue when playing Tales of Zestiria, as I mentioned before, and the max temperature it has ever reached is 51 Celsius, based on what I've investigated it is not that much.
I only use one monitor.

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018

Make sure the GPU is inserted in the TOP Video card slot. I think the issue is the PSU. Don't have enough wattage.
To make sure. what video card do you have again

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017

It is inserted in the top video card slot. I have a Nvidia GTX 1050

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017

Ok I am not having the issue in the same place I always got it in Dishonored. Although it may be working now I think that I have to put it to test until either it fails or never does again. It is strange though, the GPU is supposed to manage to run the games, and I've never had problems when stressing more the card with other more demanding games.

So you think the problem here is the PSU right?

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018

Then its probably the PSU. If you need help with finding a PSU tell me what connectors the video card has
Ex. 2x8Pin connectors or 1x6Pin by 1x4 Pin
*Any listed PSU i give will be off amazon*

If its actually not the PSU i still recommend a upgrade otherwise because its working hard probably. Make sure its not a off brand PSU if you are searching for one. I recommend EVGA

Solution

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017

The GPU does not have PSU connectors.
About the PSU upgrade, I'll look into it. Thanks for the help man

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018

Anytime! Just make sure the new PSU has the correct connectors

TRENDING THREADS