[SOLVED] Constant Blue Screens on New PC

Apr 19, 2021
As the title says, I am constantly getting blue screens, or black screen crashes with some graphics still showing followed by restarts, when playing games. I did previously post on the Windows forum, but the person who was helping me stopped responding. They had me update BIOS and motherboard drivers, run Furmark, MemTest86, Intel Burn Test, driver verifier, completely reinstall Windows, etc... I am not sure if I am allowed on this site to post a link to that thread since it is an external site, but there are about 40 dump files contained it in. Just some history with the PC, I have dealt with 2 graphics card RMAs for the 3080. The first one died (no display) after about a month, the second one had fan issues, and I now have a third. The blue screens have existed with all 3 cards, so I do not think it is that. Unfortunately I do not have any spare hardware to swap out, and am not very computer savvy where I feel comfortable doing a lot of internal work. Any suggestions are welcome! I just want to get this computer running properly, since it never has from the moment I got it in October. The thought of sending it back to where it was built has crossed my mind, but I have concerns shipping the PC across the country, and have already had issues with the company during my RMAs, so if it could be resolved some other way, I would prefer that.

My specs are as follows:

I9 10900K
ASUS Prime Z490-v
Gigabyte RTX 3080
1TB WD Blue SN550 SSD
3TB HDD SATAIII
Corsair RM850 PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz C16 RAM

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
The CPU is definitely overheating. your minimum reported CPU temperatures are around what a lot of people average under load. Your average is in the mid to high 60s and peak temps are hitting 95+ C. You need to dedust and clean your computer. If that still does not translate to significantly lower temperatures it may be time to repaste the CPU. Following that if you still have overheating issues you will most likely need to get a better heatsink/fan for your CPU.
Apr 19, 2021
Have you downloaded and installed HwMonitor or HwInfo to monitor your temperatures while you're gaming? What are your temperatures like, CPU and GPU?

I don't typically monitor the temps when I am in game, but it seems like it crashes normally at menus rather than in game, but it has crashes during gameplay as well. Could I do something like run a stress test like OCCT where it takes GPU and CPU to 100 percent and watch temps then report back?

I did previously post on the Windows forum, but the person who was helping me stopped responding. They had me update BIOS and motherboard drivers, run Furmark, MemTest86, Intel Burn Test, driver verifier, completely reinstall Windows, etc... I am not sure if I am allowed on this site to post a link to that thread since it is an external site
microsoft.com sites are allowed links.
if any issue is found than a moderator will remove the links.
no problem on your end.

you can run an OSD like HWinfo or RTSS while gaming and while stressing to watch the temperatures, device usage, etc.

could you also post an image of the motherboard with devices installed, just remove the side panel.
and include the case make\model.
The thought of sending it back to where it was built has crossed my mind, but I have concerns shipping the PC across the country, and have already had issues with the company during my RMAs, so if it could be resolved some other way, I would prefer that.
having this many issues with a pre-built, i would want to get rid of it before the return period or even the warranty expire.
you never know what type of damaged or faulty hardware may have been used by the builders.

i would definitely add some bottom intake & rear\top exhaust fans.

the radiator's fans alone can't create enough pressure to pull in enough cool air
and can't exhaust enough of the air warmed by your GPU, VRM, etc by themselves.
it is probably leading to higher temperatures for all of your components.

i would actually redo the whole cooling setup;
have the radiator exhausting out of the top,
add 2 or 3(depending on size) side intake fans,
possibly add a bottom intake blowing into\around the GPU,
and add a rear exhaust fan.

Apr 19, 2021
i would definitely add some bottom intake & rear\top exhaust fans.

the radiator's fans alone can't create enough pressure to pull in enough cool air
and can't exhaust enough of the air warmed by your GPU, VRM, etc by themselves.
it is probably leading to higher temperatures for all of your components.

Understood, running a stress test where my CPU and GPU are at 100 percent, my CPU package is staying right around 80 deg C and GPU 75 deg C.

Is it possible that's what is causing my PC to crash or just a recommendation?

Phillipson

Honorable
Jun 14, 2016
Hi there,

I am new to the IT Tech industry just fyi, so other techs please correct me if need be <3

BSoD is a pain since it can mean a lot of things. My first thought is Windows File System corruption or corrupted RAM. But since you re-installed Windows, I'd look into your RAM for errors. Since your errors occur in/out of gaming I'd rule out temps being the issue. First and foremost, check your hardware connections. Goto Device Manager and make sure everything is connected and no error are present.

Hold Windows Key + R and type mdsched.exe to run a Memory Diagnostic *restart now and let it run completely

If it's not your memory it "could" be overheating but that's unlikely unless your hardware is not properly connected. Event Viewer in Windows will tell you a lot if you can figure you way around it, copy and paste errors to Google for reference

Reactions: helper800
running a stress test where my CPU and GPU are at 100 percent, my CPU package is staying right around 80 deg C and GPU 75 deg C
at stock\default settings during heavy stressing the CPU @ 80°C isn't terrible, but should be better with a nice AIO cooler.
though this can also depend on the actual stress software and it's settings being used.

also GPU running @ 75°C during gaming or regular image processing isn't terrible, but i always try to keep mine closer to 60° to help keep the heated air being exhausted lower so the ambient temps around the system aren't climbing as much.
during a very heavy graphics card stress test, 75° really isn't bad at all.

in a best case scenario, adding more cool intake and heat exhaust fans could possibly lower your overall temps by ~10° or more.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021
Hi there,

I am new to the IT Tech industry just fyi, so other techs please correct me if need be <3

BSoD is a pain since it can mean a lot of things. My first thought is Windows File System corruption or corrupted RAM. But since you re-installed Windows, I'd look into your RAM for errors. Since your errors occur in/out of gaming I'd rule out temps being the issue. First and foremost, check your hardware connections. Goto Device Manager and make sure everything is connected and no error are present.

Hold Windows Key + R and type mdsched.exe to run a Memory Diagnostic *restart now and let it run completely

If it's not your memory it "could" be overheating but that's unlikely unless your hardware is not properly connected. Event Viewer in Windows will tell you a lot if you can figure you way around it, copy and paste errors to Google for reference

I am running the test again right now. I have done it a few times, along with Memtest86, and haven’t had any issues. That’s the problem. Any “tests” I have done have all passed.

Apr 19, 2021
Kind of a noob answer maybe.. but with that high end of a CPU and GPU.. could it be a Powersupply issue

One of my close friends who does some IT work on the side also suggested this, so to try and get it to replicate maybe a PSU load crash, he had me running Furmark and Intel Burn Test at the same time to max stress CPU and GPU, I let both run for like 30 minutes, no crashes. I don’t get it. That’s what I’m wondering if it’s not something software related.

Phillipson

Honorable
Jun 14, 2016
I am running the test again right now. I have done it a few times, along with Memtest86, and haven’t had any issues. That’s the problem. Any “tests” I have done have all passed.

I'd check your Memory, BIOS settings, PSU or Motherboard for errors (run any tests you can). BSoD is caused by sudden problems that can't be hot fixed by the OS in real-time, resulting in an error screen with little to no details. It's an error that halts the system. Check into Event Viewer and scan through the Windows subsection. Look for any large numbers of errors and Google it to see if it's related to anything above. Motherboard defect? RAM defect? Registry/System files? Go through a mental checklist without diving too deep in one thing

Sounds like a hardware issue or defect. How many times a week do you get BSoD?

Apr 19, 2021
This is a prebuilt system?
If so...STOP messing with it.

Send it back.

One BSOD is too many.

Unless, of course, you've installed some suspect software.

I can’t get a refund on the system or anything. I can pay to ship it back, but like I said I haven’t had very good luck with this company. I haven’t really messed with it, just troubleshooting, and I don’t have anything installed other than games

One of my close friends who does some IT work on the side also suggested this, so to try and get it to replicate maybe a PSU load crash, he had me running Furmark and Intel Burn Test at the same time to max stress CPU and GPU, I let both run for like 30 minutes, no crashes. I don’t get it. That’s what I’m wondering if it’s not something software related.
Your PSU is pretty good and has a 10 year warranty.

Apr 19, 2021
I'd check your Memory, BIOS settings, PSU or Motherboard for errors (run any tests you can). BSoD is caused by sudden problems that can't be hot fixed by the OS in real-time, resulting in an error screen with little to no details. It's an error that halts the system. Check into Event Viewer and scan through the Windows subsection. Look for any large numbers of errors and Google it to see if it's related to anything above. Motherboard defect? RAM defect? Registry/System files? Go through a mental checklist without diving too deep in one thing

Sounds like a hardware issue or defect. How many times a week do you get BSoD?
There’s a good bit of things listed in event viewer, errors, warnings, and critical. Just don’t really know what any mean to be honest with you. I have tried to google stuff and at one time downloaded WhoCrashed. I just haven’t had any luck. That’s why I didn’t know if anything could be found in the dump files or.

USAFRet

Titan
I can’t get a refund on the system or anything. I can pay to ship it back, but like I said I haven’t had very good luck with this company. I haven’t really messed with it, just troubleshooting, and I don’t have anything installed other than games
No warranty?

Well, I would consider a full wipe and reinstall of Windows.
Start with a good stable software configuration. If the problem persists...hardware. Which should absolutely be covered under some warranty.

Apr 19, 2021
No warranty?

Well, I would consider a full wipe and reinstall of Windows.
Start with a good stable software configuration. If the problem persists...hardware. Which should absolutely be covered under some warranty.

I mean there is a 1 year parts warranty. I just figured I would do my due diligence to see if I could get some help to solve the problem rather than ship the PC back across the country which I am nervous about. I have heard a lot of horror stories, and the company I bought from has had bad customer service so far, which is my fault for not doing my reading up on.

Also, I did do the reset my PC option to reinstall Windows.

USAFRet

Titan
I mean there is a 1 year parts warranty. I just figured I would do my due diligence to see if I could get some help to solve the problem rather than ship the PC back across the country which I am nervous about. I have heard a lot of horror stories, and the company I bought from has had bad customer service so far, which is my fault for not doing my reading up on.

Also, I did do the reset my PC option to reinstall Windows.
Not "reset"....full wipe and reinstall.

What company did you buy it from? Something we might have heard of?

Apr 19, 2021
Not "reset"....full wipe and reinstall.

What company did you buy it from? Something we might have heard of?
I guess I did not do the full wipe and reinstall yet, I can try that if you think it's necessary.

CyberPowerPC, I didn't want to trash the company or anything, but customer service has definitely been a headache (for me at least).