[SOLVED] Constant Blue Screens on New PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 19, 2021
As the title says, I am constantly getting blue screens, or black screen crashes with some graphics still showing followed by restarts, when playing games. I did previously post on the Windows forum, but the person who was helping me stopped responding. They had me update BIOS and motherboard drivers, run Furmark, MemTest86, Intel Burn Test, driver verifier, completely reinstall Windows, etc... I am not sure if I am allowed on this site to post a link to that thread since it is an external site, but there are about 40 dump files contained it in. Just some history with the PC, I have dealt with 2 graphics card RMAs for the 3080. The first one died (no display) after about a month, the second one had fan issues, and I now have a third. The blue screens have existed with all 3 cards, so I do not think it is that. Unfortunately I do not have any spare hardware to swap out, and am not very computer savvy where I feel comfortable doing a lot of internal work. Any suggestions are welcome! I just want to get this computer running properly, since it never has from the moment I got it in October. The thought of sending it back to where it was built has crossed my mind, but I have concerns shipping the PC across the country, and have already had issues with the company during my RMAs, so if it could be resolved some other way, I would prefer that.

My specs are as follows:

I9 10900K
ASUS Prime Z490-v
Gigabyte RTX 3080
1TB WD Blue SN550 SSD
3TB HDD SATAIII
Corsair RM850 PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz C16 RAM

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
The CPU is definitely overheating. your minimum reported CPU temperatures are around what a lot of people average under load. Your average is in the mid to high 60s and peak temps are hitting 95+ C. You need to dedust and clean your computer. If that still does not translate to significantly lower temperatures it may be time to repaste the CPU. Following that if you still have overheating issues you will most likely need to get a better heatsink/fan for your CPU.

USAFRet

Titan
I guess I did not do the full wipe and reinstall yet, I can try that if you think it's necessary.

CyberPowerPC, I didn't want to trash the company or anything, but customer service has definitely been a headache (for me at least).
ahh......
Yes, that is "not good".
(putting it nicely)

They deserve to be thrown under the bus. And then the bus backed up, to do it again.

Apr 19, 2021
i have read some bad reports from others regarding their products in the past.

just fyi;
when attempting customer support from most companies it is usually better to go with live chat or even better, direct phone support.
many will just blow off emails for weeks or even months at a time and totally disregard previous conversations when replying.
I spent more hours on hold trying to reach that company since October, that I am actually ashamed to talk admit. There were days I was on hold for 3 hours, to get a 5 minute response.

Hopefully now it’s clear why sending it back is a last resort for me, I will totally do it if I have to, but who knows when I am seeing this PC again, and when I do if it will even be fixed.

I just am so confused by what’s causing it, everyone keeps pointing towards hardware, which it totally could be, but any sort of test is passing. And like I said it normally crashes in menus of games that I have limited to 60 FPS. It’s not like when the components are under high stress or anything.

you say you have run disk checks also?
there's also a possibility that the system is just having issues reading\writing to the drive and causing problems.
if your disk(s) pass;

definitely go for the full OS drive wipe.
remove all other drives but the main system drive,
delete all partitions \ format the drive,
and do a total fresh install of the latest Windows install package directly from Microsoft.

Apr 19, 2021
you say you have run disk checks also?
there's also a possibility that the system is just having issues reading\writing to the drive and causing problems.
if your disk(s) pass;

definitely go for the full OS drive wipe.
remove all other drives but the main system drive,
delete all partitions \ format the drive,
and do a total fresh install of the latest Windows install package directly from Microsoft.

I have ran chkdsk on my C and D drive.

This last portion you mentioned about removing all other drives and etc... can you go into more detail? I have never done something like this so I just don't want to mess something up.

Or can you think of any other tests I can do before I completely wipe it out? I am open to anything.

USAFRet

Titan
I have ran chkdsk on my C and D drive.

This last portion you mentioned about removing all other drives and etc... can you go into more detail? I have never done something like this so I just don't want to mess something up.

Or can you think of any other tests I can do before I completely wipe it out? I am open to anything.

For the OS install (linked earlier) you want only ONE drive physically connected.

(and linked here again)

Reactions: helper800
Apr 19, 2021
For the OS install (linked earlier) you want only ONE drive physically connected.

(and linked here again)
I will probably have to do this tomorrow, looks like it is gonna take some time.

In the mean time here's a few more dumps, not sure if they would show anything different...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjxBjN1HNBpkkgXNTunlwn1VKoqd?e=oknXmK

EDIT:

Another one just happened so I am posting the updated link, this time after the computer rebooted for a crash, my computer hard froze, and I had to push the power button to turn it off.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjxBjN1HNBpkkgXNTunlwn1VKoqd?e=yugumY

Last edited:

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
This is why you should always try to buy from a local store even if you have to pay a bit more. You put the pc in the car and take it to them instead of having to ship it to the other side of the world. And remember to ALWAYS disconnect any other SSD or HDD you have when you make a clean windows install because you may end up like my brother who had both drives connected and windows put system files in both, so now, if one drive were to be disconnected he can't boot into windows

Apr 19, 2021
I should add lately I’m not really getting a blue screen, screen just goes black and system restarts and in event viewer it shows the kernel power critical error 41.
Not sure if this means anything different or what, it looks like it is still producing dump files it seems like I no longer get the blue screens after I deleted some Logitech drivers that were making me blue screen while running verifier as mentioned in the Microsoft thread I linked.

USAFRet

Titan
I should add lately I’m not really getting a blue screen, screen just goes black and system restarts and in event viewer it shows the kernel power critical error 41.
Not sure if this means anything different or what, it looks like it is still producing dump files it seems like I no longer get the blue screens after I deleted some Logitech drivers that were making me blue screen while running verifier as mentioned in the Microsoft thread I linked.
"41" is just a the system notifying you of an improper shutdown.

"I shut down before and I don't know why. Please fix me."

Apr 19, 2021
"41" is just a the system notifying you of an improper shutdown.

"I shut down before and I don't know why. Please fix me."
Understood. So is there any significance in me now not getting blue screens for a while? It’s just like the screen goes black and some graphics are still shown in distorted colors whenever it freezes/crashes. I do not have any artifacts or anything while playing games.

USAFRet

Titan
Understood. So is there any significance in me now not getting blue screens for a while? It’s just like the screen goes black and some graphics are still shown in distorted colors whenever it freezes/crashes. I do not have any artifacts or anything while playing games.
For a prebuilt system that is only a few months old, the only acceptable operation is - No faults at all.

If, after a full wipe and reinstall of Windows, all its updates, drivers, and your applications...
If it is STILL failing in weird ways...it is a hardware issue.

Reactions: helper800
Apr 19, 2021
For a prebuilt system that is only a few months old, the only acceptable operation is - No faults at all.

If, after a full wipe and reinstall of Windows, all its updates, drivers, and your applications...
If it is STILL failing in weird ways...it is a hardware issue.
Yeah I agree with you. Trust me. It’s just the thought of sending it back to them makes me sick. I will do the full wipe tomorrow. The only other thing I could think of could something weird be happening with the PCIE slot? The only reason I ask this is my first GPU totally died while gaming and I had to RMA it so I wasn’t sure if this could have broken something, or done something to my mobo.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah I agree with you. Trust me. It’s just the thought of sending it back to them makes me sick. I will do the full wipe tomorrow. The only other thing I could think of could something weird be happening with the PCIE slot? The only reason I ask this is my first GPU totally died while gaming and I had to RMA it so I wasn’t sure if this could have broken something, or done something to my mobo.
Run memtest (just seen you already did thst)

If you have Asus AI suite installed uninstall that.

EDIT 41 can be anything from software to hardware.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021
Okay, so this may sound totally crazy but so far last night and all today, no crashes. So I am sitting here wondering what could have changed. I went to Nvidia Control Panel and realized all of my settings for "Manage 3D Settings" have reverted back to Default under the Global Settings tab. The following settings I had changed whenever I was crashing:

Low Latency Mode - used to be on, is now off
Monitor Technology - used to be fixed refresh, is now G-SYNC
Power Management Mode - used to be max performance, is now normal
Texture filtering quality - used to be high performance, is now quality
Vertical sync - used to be off, is now use the 3d application settings

Has anyone ever heard of changing these settings causing system instability?

I am not saying this is the issue, but things have been stable since. Of course that is subject to change.

Okay, so this may sound totally crazy but so far last night and all today, no crashes. So I am sitting here wondering what could have changed. I went to Nvidia Control Panel and realized all of my settings for "Manage 3D Settings" have reverted back to Default under the Global Settings tab. The following settings I had changed whenever I was crashing:

Low Latency Mode - used to be on, is now off
Monitor Technology - used to be fixed refresh, is now G-SYNC
Power Management Mode - used to be max performance, is now normal
Texture filtering quality - used to be high performance, is now quality
Vertical sync - used to be off, is now use the 3d application settings

Has anyone ever heard of changing these settings causing system instability?

I am not saying this is the issue, but things have been stable since. Of course that is subject to change.
Humor me and open CMD as administrator and type and enter the following: sfc /scannow

This will find corruption in the OS if there is any if you have not already fresh installed windows by now. I would also try reseating the Graphics card, and reinstalling the drivers for the card with DDU which is a utility programs that makes sure you get a clean install of the drivers. If after all this and no problem is identified I would say with a high degree of confidence that there is some hardware issue and would follow @USAFRet recommendation of RMAing the computer back to cyber.

Apr 19, 2021
Humor me and open CMD as administrator and type and enter the following: sfc /scannow

This will find corruption in the OS if there is any if you have not already fresh installed windows by now. I would also try reseating the Graphics card, and reinstalling the drivers for the card with DDU which is a utility programs that makes sure you get a clean install of the drivers. If after all this and no problem is identified I would say with a high degree of confidence that there is some hardware issue and would follow @USAFRet recommendation of RMAing the computer back to cyber.
I will try these things now. What is weird is like I said, the PC has been running like a dream since those Nvidia settings went to default. I have had no issues. So I am wondering if one of those settings could have caused my PC to become unstable? I have no idea.