Question Constant Boot Blue Screens

Oct 10, 2022
PC was working fine for months, Went away for 4 weeks to visit my family and have come back to constant blue screens and unable to boot into windows. Any help getting this sorted would be greatly appreciated.

List of error codes I’m getting;
Memory Management
IRQL Not Less Or Equal
Critical Process died
Kernel Security Check Failure
Attempted Write To Read Only Memory
Page Fault In NonPaged Area

New errors:
KMODE Exception not handled
System Service Exception
PFN List Corrupt

FULL SYSTEM SPECS:
MB: MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
CPU: i9-9900KF
Memory: 2x HyperX Furry 16gb
GPU: MSI 3080
PSU: Corsair RM750x
M.2_1: Crucial P5 Plus 1tb
M.2_2: WD Blue SN550

Edit: I took one of my ram out and it booted fine, does this mean It’s dead? Or is there more to this.

Edit 2: Tried both sticks by themselves and worked fine???? I’m so confused.

Edit 3: Only issue now is my M.2_2 slot is not being detected.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
List of error codes I’m getting;
Memory Management
IRQL Not Less Or Equal
Critical Process died
Kernel Security Check Failure
Attempted Write To Read Only Memory
Page Fault In NonPaged Area

New errors:
KMODE Exception not handled
System Service Exception
PFN List Corrupt

These are all data corruption errors. So if its not ram, could be the drive windows is on. Some of them could be drivers but that seems unlikely if you left PC doing nothing for 4 weeks.

Only issue now is my M.2_2 slot is not being detected.
is it the slot or the m.2 itself? have you swapped drives around to see which it is?
were both m.2 drives installed when you put windows on the 1st time, could the boot partition be on the drive on M.2_2

Oct 10, 2022
These are all data corruption errors. So if its not ram, could be the drive windows is on. Some of them could be drivers but that seems unlikely if you left PC doing nothing for 4 weeks.

is it the slot or the m.2 itself? have you swapped drives around to see which it is?
were both m.2 drives installed when you put windows on the 1st time, could the boot partition be on the drive on M.2_2

All error codes are gone now, pc boots fine when my nvme with windows is in m.2_1 slot.

For some reason no drive in the m.2_2 slot is being picked up. Both drives work fine in slot 1. Nothing has changed since cause I’ve been away, I have no idea why this has happened. I also tried updating bios and still no luck, I’m honestly so confused. I can’t find anyone online with the same issue so I’m just lost.

Both drives weren’t installed during windows initial installation as I got my second drive quite recently.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how did you fix all those bsod, what did you do?

Can you run both sticks of ram at the same time, now?

Do you have newest Bios on motherboard?

MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
so the 2nd m.2 slot is likely running off the chipset on motherboard, top off the CPU.
which makes it strange.

the chart on page 28 really could use some work. I think it means if you use m.2_2 you can't use 2 SATA connectors, though its not clear - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B51v1.2.pdf
I doubt its reason, just checking.

Was PC unplugged while you away?
maybe it was a power surge?
win 10 by default isn't off when you shut it down, its in a hybred hibernate mode. Meaning power is still on.

Oct 10, 2022
how did you fix all those bsod, what did you do?

Can you run both sticks of ram at the same time, now?

Do you have newest Bios on motherboard?

so the 2nd m.2 slot is likely running off the chipset on motherboard, top off the CPU.
which makes it strange.

the chart on page 28 really could use some work. I think it means if you use m.2_2 you can't use 2 SATA connectors, though its not clear - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B51v1.2.pdf
I doubt its reason, just checking.

Was PC unplugged while you away?
maybe it was a power surge?
win 10 by default isn't off when you shut it down, its in a hybred hibernate mode. Meaning power is still on.
To fix all the bsod errors I completely took it all apart and essentially rebuilt the pc. Both ram work fine together now with no errors or crashes.

I updated the bios with no change, second m2 isn’t picked up anymore. Whilst I was away my pc was unplugged, that’s honestly what’s confused me about all of this.

Oct 10, 2022
rebuilding PC is one way to fix it.

did you reset BIOS settings to default after updating? Sometimes resetting CMOS after can help, it might make the slot work again?
No I didn’t, It seemed to have reset itself after updating as all my custom fan speeds where back to default, but I can give it another try. Should I reset using the battery? Or from bios itself

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think to do a hard reset of BIOS you need to remove CMOS battery for a few minutes while PC is unplugged.
Updates do reset the bios but this might do a little more and make PC remember is has 2 m.2 slots

worth a try.

oddly i am helping 2 people whose 2nd m.2 slot randomly stopped working but you on different OS and different CPU makers. Both today. I don't like those odds as I rarely see it.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022
i think to do a hard reset of BIOS you need to remove CMOS battery for a few minutes while PC is unplugged.
Updates do reset the bios but this might do a little more and make PC remember is has 2 m.2 slots

worth a try.
Ok so I didn’t reset the bios but I turned it on quickly just to go take a picture of my custom fan curves, and now both m2 are being picked up???? What is going on here, this pc is so bipolar, I’m lost for words.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it wasn't always the m.2 slot I could say its the CMOS battery forgetting settings.
could try replacing battery, it just feels too specific each time.
I would be tempted to contact MSI as they might offer some advice.

You might need to reflash bios or something.

Oct 10, 2022
if it wasn't always the m.2 slot I could say its the CMOS battery forgetting settings.
could try replacing battery, it just feels too specific each time.
I would be tempted to contact MSI as they might offer some advice.

You might need to reflash bios or something.
So once I seen it was being picked up, I tried to load into windows. When I clicked save and exit bios, the pc shut off restarted and was no longer picking up the m2. I’m gonna try reset the bios now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I doubt its power as you only have 2 drives. Shouldn't be anyway.

have you looked in the slot to see if its maybe got bent pins? although to be realistic, the "pins" are on the drives, you just slot them in. Still might be worth a look.

M.2 slots not working isn't something I see every day.
If it was top m.2 slot I could perhaps say it might be bent pins on CPU but I don't know if that would be cause here. Bottom slot should be running off motherboard chipset. I assume Intel the same as AMD in that regard,

Oct 10, 2022
I doubt its power as you only have 2 drives. Shouldn't be anyway.

have you looked in the slot to see if its maybe got bent pins? although to be realistic, the "pins" are on the drives, you just slot them in. Still might be worth a look.

M.2 slots not working isn't something I see every day.
If it was top m.2 slot I could perhaps say it might be bent pins on CPU but I don't know if that would be cause here. Bottom slot should be running off motherboard chipset. I assume Intel the same as AMD in that regard,
Ok after bios reset, I noticed something when booting it up after putting the battery back in and the gpu. It went to boot up, instantly cut off and then rebooted itself again. M2_2 is still not recognised

Colif

Win 11 Master
resetting cmos means PC needs to retrain the ram, so that is fairly normal.

I don't know the m.2 slot would suddenly stop working if PC was unplugged the entire time. I could understand if it was one drive, as can blame drive, but not two of them.
Crucial drives and adata are the 2 brands I see fail the most, western digital are pretty solid though.

think I see if anyone else has any thoughts.

it looks to me like a motherboard problem.

Oct 10, 2022
resetting cmos means PC needs to retrain the ram, so that is fairly normal.

I don't know the m.2 slot would suddenly stop working if PC was unplugged the entire time. I could understand if it was one drive, as can blame drive, but not two of them.
Crucial drives and adata are the 2 brands I see fail the most, western digital are pretty solid though.

think I see if anyone else has any thoughts.

it looks to me like a motherboard problem.
Any recommendations on a motherboard that supports my parts? I’m thinking the same and the boards just gone defective.

Colif

Win 11 Master
wait and see what others think. I only just posted request. See if any smarter person can think of a reason.
I would try replacing CMOS battery as it saw it once and then forgot on a restart, so it could be the battery.
its the only thing I can think of that should be affected by 1 month with no power.

Oct 10, 2022
wait and see what others think. I only just posted request. See if any smarter person can think of a reason.
I would try replacing CMOS battery as it saw it once and then forgot on a restart, so it could be the battery.
its the only thing I can think of that should be affected by 1 month with no power.
Alright, In the meantime I’ll try another cmos battery. Just gonna head out and go buy one and hopefully it is something as simple as that.

Oct 10, 2022
New cmos battery had no change, any drive in the m2_2 slot is still not being detected.

Oct 10, 2022
that is very strange.

You could ask on here or just go to MSI support.
See what they suggest.

I don't know what would make an m.2 slot just stop working while its not even on for 4 weeks.

Before tonight I had not seen it before.
Yeah it seems like quite a specific issue I’m having, not seen anywhere online where someone is having this issue. I posted where you recommended so hopefully someone has some insight on what’s actually happening here. It’s really frustrating

Colif

Win 11 Master
i know ssd forget if they not given power for a while, but the time period is closer to last time my old ssd plugged in, 2 years... not 4 weeks. And its not the drives, its the slot.

wonder if anyway to clean slot. might be contact points or something

I am tired, brain needs a rest. I look at this tomorrow. I have a question I need to ask someone

Reactions: Faulzy
Oct 10, 2022
i know ssd forget if they not given power for a while, but the time period is closer to last time my old ssd plugged in, 2 years... not 4 weeks. And its not the drives, its the slot.

wonder if anyway to clean slot. might be contact points or something

I am tired, brain needs a rest. I look at this tomorrow. I have a question I need to ask someone
Appreciate you trying to help solve this mystery, I’m just so lost how this can happen.

TRENDING THREADS