Oct 3, 2019
Hello, recently I upgraded my system from i5 6600K to Ryzen 3700x

Parts list -

CPU - Ryzen 3700x
GPU - Nvidia GTX 980
MOBO - Asus TUF gaming x570-plus
PSU - Antec HCP1000 Platinum
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-3200C16S-8GVKB 2x8GB

In the beginning, I had bought Gigabyte x570 aorus elite but I couldn't even install windows on it. 9/10 it crashes within 10-30 seconds from booting up windows installation. I tried different windows versions after manyyyyyyyy attempts windows finally installed without any bsod but then after a while it started crashing again frequently mostly when idling. After a couple of days of troubleshooting, i gave up and got the MOTHERBOARD, RAM, and CPU replaced.

a few days ago I got the new parts but different motherboard i choose to go with Asus. So in this build Windows installed without any crash so I installed all the necessary latest drivers updated the bios and all once all set i started stress testing.

Asus RealBench for 2 hours with max temp around 75c
AIDA64 for an hour
and MemTest86 each stick for 8 passes (XMP off) and then both together for 4 passes (XMP ON) and the result was without any error.

After all the stress test i was quite happy that the system didn't crash but then i left the system idle for an hour and when i came back it had restarted and when i check "Whocrashed" it was KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE module: ntkrnlmp.exe

So far I've been using the system for 2 days and got multiple bsod not as bad as it was before but its still annoying. BSOD only happens when the system is idling or when I'm brosing the internet watching YT and stuff but not always sometimes no crash even after 2-3 hours of idle but sometimes as soon as I come back and move the mouse when its idling it crashes.

yesterday I changed one bios setting called "Power supply idle control" from Auto to "Typical current idle" and since then I only had one crash that is CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION module: hal.dll

It's been more than 24 hours without any crash so I'm kinda confused about what's wrong.... Is it bad hardware again or just buggy bios?

Here are the crash dump files when bios setting "Power supply idle control" was set to AUTO

https://filebin.net/t1stzuwfrmfsqbsz/100519-8046-01.dmp?t=8efw0wnh

https://filebin.net/t1stzuwfrmfsqbsz/100519-8062-01.dmp?t=8efw0wnh

https://filebin.net/t1stzuwfrmfsqbsz/100519-9140-01.dmp?t=8efw0wnh

Crash dump after changing bios setting "Power supply idle control" from AUTO to "Typical current idle"

https://filebin.net/t1stzuwfrmfsqbsz/100619-7875-01.dmp?t=8efw0wnh

Just one crash after the bios setting change so idk if it's just a random crash or not but it been well over 24 hours without any bsod when idling, light usage or gaming.

Thanks a lot for reading, I'd love to know what you guys think about this :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have asked a friend to convert dumps for us. He will post at some stage in next few hours.

what storage have you got?
try running this on your drives, look in the disk menu and run any scans you can
HD Sentinel - https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

PSU difficult to test but there are a few ways
the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/

or multimeter,
or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

could just as likely be the Nvidia GPU drivers if you have newest. Sept ones aren't very good.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/ob4f.html
File information:101019-7625-01.dmp (Oct 10 2019 - 02:21:35)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 39 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File information:100619-7875-01.dmp (Oct 5 2019 - 15:08:46)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION (109)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 24 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:100519-9140-01.dmp (Oct 5 2019 - 00:34:35)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE (162)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: HWiNFO64.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File information:100519-8062-01.dmp (Oct 5 2019 - 05:06:38)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)

File information:100519-8046-01.dmp (Oct 5 2019 - 04:55:42)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

BIOS info was not included in the 1st dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: mep121
Oct 3, 2019
@gardenman Hi, thanks for debugging. I'd like to mention that NOTHING is overclocked. Everything running stock except RAM with D.O.C.P XMP enabled and I've run memtest86 recently without any error.
Also, I've updated to the latest bios before installing windows when I got the motherboard.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Crash 1 was caused by amdppm
Crash 2 seems to be caused by you putting PC to sleep
Crash 3 is strange as I don't see hwinfo crash often
Crash 4 mentions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Class_Scheduler_Service
I suspect the last BSOD caused by GPU drivers. Stack text mentions DirectX operations

4 & 5 could be GPU drivers. You don't actually have the latest Nvidia drivers but try this and see if it helps - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Afterburner could be cause also

Oct 3, 2019
@Colif Hi,

Crash 1 - what is amdppm?
Crash 2 - I never put my system to sleep actually i always set Sleep option to NEVER

I'm on nvidia driver 436.15

I assume all these are just related to drivers or is there something wrong with my hardware? I really hope all the hardware's just fine.

Been over 24 hours since last crash. Also, why is it that I get BSOD/crash frequently when I set Power supply idle control to default (AUTO) and not so much with it set to "Typical current idle"?

Colif

Win 11 Master
amdppm - The chipset support driver for the AMD processor, this application starts with Windows and provides advanced optimization support for your AMD processor. It allows you to configure a small amount of options to assist in your processors performance and efficiency. link

I may have misunderstood what i was looking at, the sleep state appears to be a shutdown -
last line is stack text before the error call is
hal!HaliAcpiSleep+167
ACPI sleep is hibernate or shutdown in the case of a WIn 10 pc with fast startup turned on (which is default) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface#Global_states

Problems like that can be caused by software.

I think most of the problem is software (but then I always do).

Been over 24 hours since last crash. Also, why is it that I get BSOD/crash frequently when I set Power supply idle control to default (AUTO) and not so much with it set to "Typical current idle"?

I am not a hardware guy, I can't answer that question. but I see if I can find someone who can.

Oct 3, 2019
@Colif Hi again, I was watching YT just now and my system just turned off as if someone pulled the power plug and then it started itself on.

No bsod or anything... reliability monitor says "Windows was not properly shut down" I'm scared now... whats going on : (

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you run logging in HWINFO?
In sensors only view, along bottom of window are icons.
can you click the icon next to clock that says logging start
this asks you to create a file, give it a name & location you will remember.
log progress and if a crash happens while you logging, upload the log to a file sharing website and we see what it shows.

restarts without BSOD aren't windows.

Oct 3, 2019
How new is PSU? It appears to be a model from 2012? wonder if it supports the new power modes.

I've been using this PSU since 5 years and it had some issue like shutting down randomly and sometime not even powring on that was 7-8 months ago so I got it replaced brand new. Since then it working without any porblem on my old system - i56600K GTX 980 MSI Z270.

The problem only started happening when i bought new parts ryzen 3700 and asus tuf x570 idk I did swap the psu. I asked my friend to use my psu and i used his that was couple days ago and I still got the bsod/crash. That was Corsair RM550x and he told me that he had no issue with my psu so idk i guess psu is just fine....

Colif

Win 11 Master
not being psychic I don't know if Gardenamn will convert that right away.

I am no expert but I couldn't see anything obvious in the CSV file, I might ask @PC Tailor to have a look at it later. Sure didn't look like its power but then if it crashes at idle, you wouldn't expect it to be power.

I just had to ask about PSU, you appear to have replaced everything else

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Nothing seems outrageously abnormal from the HWInfo log from a quick glance over.
Also I'm getting 404 on the dump files, so cannot access them.

I'd also be tempted to look at PSU or Storage drives. Storage drives have no warnings against them on HWInfo log however.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) here: https://pste.eu/p/hUZ5.html

Summary of findings:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
"Bug check 0xA is usually caused by kernel mode device drivers using improper addresses. This is either a bad memory pointer or a pageability problem with the device driver code. Examine the third party drivers .

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. For more information, see Open Event Viewer. Look for critical errors in the system log that occurred in the same time window as the blue screen."

Some things to consider:
  • Only obvious element in the stack up to crash is a page fault.
  • I'd be tempted to look at these on an initial glance:
RTCore64.sys30/09/2016UnknownRivaTuner/EVGA Prec/MSI Afterburner (KNOWN BSOD)
logi_joy_vir_hid.sys03/04/2018LogitechLogitech Joystick Driver
logi_core_temp.sys16/11/2018LogitechLogitech Core Temperature Driver
logi_joy_bus_enum.sys20/11/2018LogitechLogitech Joystick Driver
logi_joy_xlcore.sys20/11/2018LogitechLogitech Joystick Driver
RTKVHD64.sys26/03/2019RealtekRealtek HD Audio Driver
rt640x64.sys10/05/2019RealtekRealtek Ethernet Driver
amdgpio2.sys17/05/2019AMDAMD GPIO Controller Driver
amdpsp.sys19/06/2019AMDAMD Chipset Driver
AMDPCIDev.sys24/07/2019AMDAMD Ryzen OC Utility

I can't dig much further at the moment. But @Colif will likely be able to shed more light.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would look at updating those drivers first that I've mentioned above (not using a driver updater app).
IRQL effectively means a driver accessed hardware in a way that it shouldn't have, or the RAM itself is faulty in typical cases.

Without a dump that can clearly identify some drivers in question, it's hard to identify which one could be causing the issue, so sometimes a hammer approach is useful, we have a list of drivers, it's ensuring that they are up to date or disabled using Autoruns and seeing if the issue persists.

Having said that having other bugchecks can be indicative of something else.

Oct 3, 2019
I would look at updating those drivers first that I've mentioned above (not using a driver updater app).
IRQL effectively means a driver accessed hardware in a way that it shouldn't have, or the RAM itself is faulty in typical cases.

Without a dump that can clearly identify some drivers in question, it's hard to identify which one could be causing the issue, so sometimes a hammer approach is useful, we have a list of drivers, it's ensuring that they are up to date or disabled using Autoruns and seeing if the issue persists.

Having said that having other bugchecks can be indicative of something else.

I have only one software from logitech which is G HUB latest version for my mouse g502 and I'll look for on Realtek website for latest drivers because i already have updated all the drivers from the asus website.

about amd drivers I don't know whats AMD GPIO Controller Driver and AMD Ryzen OC Utility
I only installed AMD Chipset Driver from asus's website.

Edit - I'm not sure why RTCore64.sys drivers date is 2016.... I have the latest version of RivaTuner and MSI Afterburner.

Also everything is at default speed no overclock or anything except RAM with XMP on. Also ran many passes with and without xmp on using MEMETEST86

Colif

Win 11 Master
Error text isn't long enough to blame a particular driver.
page faults are a normal function of any operating system that uses Virtual Memory, which includes Windows. They are badly named I agree, but not errors. Hardfaults however might not be normal.

I would look at the second post here and run Driver verifer - it will show us if it is a driver, as its part of windows designed to test drivers and put them into positions they should not normally be in. This will cause BSOD - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/ - if after 8 hours or so it hasn't crashed, I would turn Driver verifer off as it should react before then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you on BIOS version 1201?

about amd drivers I don't know whats AMD GPIO Controller Driver and AMD Ryzen OC Utility
I only installed AMD Chipset Driver from asus's website.
GPIO driver is part of chipset drivers.
The AMD Ryzen Master Utility for Overclocking Control driver. is part of https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master which I don't see on your motherboards website

MSI Afterburner drivers just don't need to be updated. They signed to work with win 10, there are much older drivers in windows 10 that still work fine.

Oct 3, 2019
Are you on BIOS version 1201?

GPIO driver is part of chipset drivers.
The AMD Ryzen Master Utility for Overclocking Control driver. is part of https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master which I don't see on your motherboards website

MSI Afterburner drivers just don't need to be updated. They signed to work with win 10, there are much older drivers in windows 10 that still work fine.

Yes latest bios since day 1 and I don't have Ryzen Master installed and it can be downloaded from AMD's website only as I also don't see it in motherboard's website.
Also I'll do that driver verifier thing after couple hours and report back tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.