Constant BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe

djmatty987

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
For the past week i kept occasionally getting blue screens such as irql_not_less_or_equal and system service exception so i decided to completely reinstall windows 10 and since then i get them either at boot or just after i log in. I know that it is not my RAM because i have changed it and the problem still occurs. Looking at blue screen view it says that it is ntoskrnl.exe causing the problem. do you need the .dmp files and if so where can i upload them?

Solution
if you can use another pc, download this and create a win 10 install usb or dvd (your choice): https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
Its just a boot disc unless we have no choice
change bios to boot from which ever but make hdd second (Just as a precaution)

I don't know if its a virus or your hard drives. Critical process died refers to your computer being given corrupted data, its why they both happened... and 30 minutes before that windows defender also caused a BSOD. That is not a coincidence i can ignore, but at same time I could be reading too much into it.

What brand are your hard drives? we may be able to test them in safe mode since we can boot with the win 10 install software and use it to get to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
ntoskrnl just got the blame, its not the cause.

download and run this:http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it will look at those error logs and spell them out so normal people can read them
It may only mention that file so post results in here anyway

djmatty987

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

These are the the results from that :
On Fri 08/04/2016 15:02:09 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040816-10640-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFE00179F85080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 08/04/2016 15:02:09 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntdll.sys (ntdll!NtTerminateProcess+0x14)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFE00179F85080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntdll.sys .
Google query: ntdll.sys CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

On Fri 08/04/2016 14:46:03 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040816-12703-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF803022AB000, 0x0, 0xFFFFE00070A36075, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 08/04/2016 14:17:49 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040816-10828-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: wdfilter.sys (WdFilter!MpAmPreCreate+0x149)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF800FB007328, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800FAC8D0AA)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\wdfilter.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft antimalware file system filter driver
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 08/04/2016 13:36:05 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040816-5421-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xA0, 0x2, 0x8, 0xA0)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Run malewarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.org/ - two of them may be virus related

wdfilter.sys is windows defender, might want to get a better anti virus and that error will go away once defender is no longer running.

critical process died could be your hdd but run both of these first: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2559476/critical-process-died-blue-screen-death.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you can use another pc, download this and create a win 10 install usb or dvd (your choice): https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
Its just a boot disc unless we have no choice
change bios to boot from which ever but make hdd second (Just as a precaution)

I don't know if its a virus or your hard drives. Critical process died refers to your computer being given corrupted data, its why they both happened... and 30 minutes before that windows defender also caused a BSOD. That is not a coincidence i can ignore, but at same time I could be reading too much into it.

What brand are your hard drives? we may be able to test them in safe mode since we can boot with the win 10 install software and use it to get to advanced start up.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS