[SOLVED] Constant BSOD & Crashes after installing new GPU

Dec 12, 2018
Hello Friends,

I have spent a few days and dozens of hours scouring the internet and trying every solution I can think of, but I am cannot seem to resolve my issue and was hoping the community could help a guy out.

Problem:
I am running into constant BSOD/Screen Freezes/Power Off ever since installing my new GPU. When initially installed, did not get any crashes while playing Assassins Creed Odyssey. After a few game updates and gpu driver updates, AC: OD and other games such as Just Cause 4, and even Diablo 3 are all running into hard crashes. Watching Netflix or YouTube videos however seems to work great.

It's weird, one day games will work fine for hours, next day (and more frequently) I cannot get a past a few minutes in before game crashes. Even setting everything to stock (Clear CMOS/ no CPU OC/ GPU set to "Silent" (basically underclocked) profile in ASUS Tweak II).

I am using the Heaven Benchmark and it only goes to maybe 10 scenes before it crashes.

A couple of error codes which I have recieved multiple times are:
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I used the program whocrashed to check the event logs. In the times that a memory dump was successfully written, i've seen the

Initial Problems started appearing after installing new ASUS ROG Strix 1080ti from a previous R9 Fury X back in mid-October. I made the mistake of not uninstalling the AMD Driver.

Hardware Specs:
x370 ASUS Crosshair VI
R7 1800x w/ Kraken X52 AIO Water Cooler
32gb(4x8gb)3000mhz Gskill Trident Z RGB
ASUS ROG Strix 1080ti
CM H500M Case (lots of airflow)
256GB Kingston SSD
3TB Toshiba HDD
3440x1440 @60fps LG Monitor

Here are the following things I have already attempted:
- Used DDU to uninstall any legacy AMD and NVIDIA Drivers
- Updated NVIDIA drivers to the latest drivers via GeForce Experience (Clean Install), (417.35 as of writing)
- Updated ALL device drivers (sata controllers, lan controllers, etc) via the program DriverEasy
- Updated to latest MOBO Bios (6302 as of writing)
- Performed Memory Diagnostic Tool, no errors returned
- Performed MemTest86, no cumulative errors after a 9.5 hour run
- Performed Cinebench benchmark multiple times, is stable even at overclock settings @ 4.0GHZ and 1.45V for CPU, with memory at auto settings (defaults to 2133 Mhz)
- Performed Complete Scan for virus/malware with Windows Defender
- Performed "sfc/scannow" and "chkdsk /f /r /x" on both drives from cmdprompt (admininstrative access), 0 bad file records found
- CPU, GPU max temps I've had are 60C and 65C respectively during benchmarks.
- Ensured all hardware connections are firm and not loose

I know there's inherent risks of the DIY builds, and I sincerely have been trying to figure out some solutions, but not seeming to make any progress. I'm also afraid that the amount of hard-reset switch button presses i've done this whole troubleshooting process is making the system more and more unstable?

Would appreciate any assistance, thanks!

Solution
" Electrical testing with a multimeter was next on my list"

Great move. BTW...you can also access some of the voltages on the ends of the plugs you aren't using.

The main ones should be within 5%....they are +12., +5 and + 3.3.

You can also use software like HWMonitor to look at the voltages....but if I have a choice....I like the meter.

The main reason I asked about the PSU is....many times when someone installs a new GPU and has problems like this....it's the PSU....due to the increased load.

Now 850W should be plenty....but still.....I'd check the voltages. It's easy to do....and you might find something out of wack.
Dec 12, 2018

Thanks for the reply,

I'm using a EVGA 850W Gold+ PSU. I'll note that I used to have 2 Fury X's in crossfire so I think it has more than enough juice for a more efficient GPU. Electrical testing with a multimeter was next on my list, not sure yet exactly how to test it, but the silver lining is that the motherboard does have reference points to stick the probes into it. I'll double check power connections again when I get abck from work.

" Electrical testing with a multimeter was next on my list"

Great move. BTW...you can also access some of the voltages on the ends of the plugs you aren't using.

The main ones should be within 5%....they are +12., +5 and + 3.3.

You can also use software like HWMonitor to look at the voltages....but if I have a choice....I like the meter.

The main reason I asked about the PSU is....many times when someone installs a new GPU and has problems like this....it's the PSU....due to the increased load.

Now 850W should be plenty....but still.....I'd check the voltages. It's easy to do....and you might find something out of wack.

Solution